pine paneling question

bleat

I pulled some 1950's t & g pine paneling out of an old house. It is in good shape, but has a slight odor. That old/musty smell to it. I wiped down each board with a bleach solution, front and back, then rinsed it off good. It helped a little, but still has a little odor. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks

revrandyf

T&G Pine

Wipe it down with mineral spirits and lay it in the sun for a day, two at most. That should take care of it.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
The odor is coming from all sides of the boards. If you had access to a drum sander you could refinish both front and back of each board. This would expose fresh wood which should smell like fresh wood.

Planing would do the same thing but would remove excessive amounts of wood.

another alternative would be dip each board in a strong solution of chlorox. You could obtain a section of house gutter a bit longer than your boards, fill it with chlorox solution and dip the boards one edge at the time. Leave the boards submerged for a few seconds to insure complete coverage. Stack and sticker the boards in a well vented area out of the sun. Sun will cause the boards to warp.

CAL

Wipe them down with household amonia!If that doesn't work try some baking soda water.It will usually kill anything!