Saltwater Flys

fish hawk

Bass Master
Going to St. George Island in a couple of weeks.Can yall recommend me some saltwater patterns.Trout and redfish but also wouldn't mind doing some early morning casting in the surf for ladyfish,bluefish and such.

Sargent

In my limited saltwater experience, I have only used clousers.

I was fairly successful.

fishndoc

I've had some luck with both red fish and trout using a red & black clouser. Fished with a guide at Sannibel, and it was his "go to" fly.

copperheadmike

Clousers are always a safe bet. I have done pretty good with saltshakers as well, especially on ladyfish and blues. The feathercraft foam poppers are great when you get into a good bait bash. I have also done well on trout with spoon flies at night around bridges and lights.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Clousers are good.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Thanks for the advice guys.....Thanks paymaster.I'll be down for a week and can hardly wait,hopefully I'll be able to post up some pics.

WinMag.300

are you fishing from the surf or doing some inshore flats fishing? You can get rid of a lot of fly selection if you are going to be limited to surf/jetty fishing.

fish hawk

Bass Master
are you fishing from the surf or doing some inshore flats fishing? You can get rid of a lot of fly selection if you are going to be limited to surf/jetty fishing.

I'll probably do both but I've always wanted to land a fish from the surf on a fly rod.Hopefully the baitfish will be in the surf early in the mornings that way maybe I can have a chance at some ladies or blues busting on the bait.Paymaster is hookin me up with some clousers that look like some great baitfish imitations :cool:Thanks again Paymaster.
What lb leader would you guys use?

EJTibbetts

I'll be down at st George in mid June. I'll be surf fishing daily, off shore one day, in shore one day and I'll probably have a kayak with me too. I've tied some kwan flies, crabs and clousers in white, white and chartreuse so far. I don't think I have any black or red bucktail. Been too busy to tie In the past few weeks.

kirby999

A fly that has worked for me inshore is one tied similiar to a wooly booger but without the palmered hackle . Most productive has a white marabou tail with white cactus chennile body . Usually tied as a cone head or lead eyes . Second best was same but in chartreuse .
Caught two seatrout and three flounder on the out going tide casting to any place water was draining from the grass and shell beds . Kirby

fish hawk

Bass Master
Thanks Paymaster.These will get it done :cool:
If I get a shot at some cruising pompano the chartreuse,pink and white one will be the ticket!!!
Some great looking baitfish imitations.

Attachments

• DSCN7646.JPG
    DSCN7646.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 384

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Hope they bring you luck! :cheers:

fish hawk

Bass Master
Thanks paymaster I managed my first fish off the beach with my flyrod with the help of your flies.Conditions were bad all week for using a flyrod with the wind and rough surf.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
:cheers:
:clap::clap::clap:

EJTibbetts

I tied a sand flea last night. Not sure if it will work, but i think it will do alright.

Top:
BE3A9D19-73EE-4A6B-8695-94C262819F8A_zpsy9vf0tpd.jpg

Underside:
CB81F4FD-FE22-46C7-8E83-B66CB7933E41_zpsoxotnz95.jpg

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Now That is a Sweet Tie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool: