The Best fly rod combo

WinMag.300

wow

now thats a loaded question...

depends on what you want out of your outfit. Begginer based, something for someone more experienced etc.
Fast action, Slow action...

Overall for something that is not pieced together(which I feel is almost always best) that the Redington Combos are superb. They come with good rods, decent reels, and good RIO fly line-one of the most important parts of the combo) If i were to piece on together I would go TFO and Rio fly line.

fishndoc

WinMag pretty much nailed it for you. If you are not sure fly fishing is for you, and don't want to spend a lot to get started, the Redington outfits are a good way to go; get you a 5wt outfit and you are set for most trout streams, bream and small bass.

On the other hand, if you want to spend more to start so you won't outgrow your outfit, go to a fly shop (a good chance the will get you a TFO set up).

John I. Shore

Good Question, wish I knew the answer!

Would say it depends on your budget, I love my Diamondbacks with my Orvis reels.

John I.

hmaadd

the best bang for the buck in a fly rod is a temple fork imo. reels for small fish just hold line so I wouldn't put a lot into one

OILMAN

3 weeks ago, I finally purchased my first fly rod. I bought a TFO rod- Lefty Kreh Pro 2 series 5# 8.5' rod and an Orvis Encounter reel. I tried a few different rods and reels, but for the price- approx $200 for the rod/reel, I am really happy. Granted I don't have enough experience to compare it to anything, but I love the rod and reel.

duckbill

For me, the reel simply holds line because I don't target big fish and it's all fresh water. For the rod, the TFO Lefty Kreh is a great rod for the money. My next purchase will probably be a 5 or 6 wt in one of them.,

Go to ebay and find a good, solid Montague Rapidan bamboo fly rod for $50.00- $100.00. With patience, you can get one in very good shape in that price range. Make sure it has all its guides and nice shiny wraps on the guides. They are three piece rods and, in this price range, should have an extra tip section, bag and tube. All four sections should be equal length! Rapidan comes in different sizes ( 8 ft, 8'-6', and 9') and three different "weights" called: Light Trout, Medium Trout, and Bass. I recommend brushing a VERY THIN coat of varnish over the thread wraps if they are not shiny and like new. (These Rapidan rods are 60-85 years old).

Look for an Ocean City 70s series fly reel. The 76 will match the Rapidan Light Trout (3-4 wt). The 77 will match the Rapidan Medium Trout (5-6 wt). The 78 will match the Rapidan Bass Rod (7-8 wt). Be picky and get a very good one for $15.00 or a like new, in the box, for $30.00.

Your bamboo flyrod combination for less than $150.00 will be better than many $500.00 new combos - but slower loading.

Your combo will be heavier and slower than today's graphites. It will be as heavy and a bit slower than an old fiberglass. This is the best way to learn. Later on, you can get a fiberglass rod (Fenwick or Heddon is recommended) - and use the Ocean City reel on it too. Heck, you might even want to try an old automatic reel on fiberglass. Again, you can put togthe a great combo for $250.00 or less.

After you have mastered the bamboo and fiberglass, you will be ready for new graphite, though it will probably bore you because it's so easy and fast.

Warning: Fly Gear collecting is addictive!No No:

centerpin fan

Go to ebay and find a good, solid Montague Rapidan bamboo fly rod for $50.00- $100.00. With patience, you can get one in very good shape in that price range. Make sure it has all its guides and nice shiny wraps on the guides. They are three piece rods and, in this price range, should have an extra tip section, bag and tube. All four sections should be equal length! Rapidan comes in different sizes ( 8 ft, 8'-6', and 9') and three different "weights" called: Light Trout, Medium Trout, and Bass. I recommend brushing a VERY THIN coat of varnish over the thread wraps if they are not shiny and like new. (These Rapidan rods are 60-85 years old).

Look for an Ocean City 70s series fly reel. The 76 will match the Rapidan Light Trout (3-4 wt). The 77 will match the Rapidan Medium Trout (5-6 wt). The 78 will match the Rapidan Bass Rod (7-8 wt). Be picky and get a very good one for $15.00 or a like new, in the box, for $30.00.

Your bamboo flyrod combination for less than $150.00 will be better than many $500.00 new combos - but slower loading.

Your combo will be heavier and slower than today's graphites. It will be as heavy and a bit slower than an old fiberglass. This is the best way to learn. Later on, you can get a fiberglass rod (Fenwick or Heddon is recommended) - and use the Ocean City reel on it too. Heck, you might even want to try an old automatic reel on fiberglass. Again, you can put togthe a great combo for $250.00 or less.

After you have mastered the bamboo and fiberglass, you will be ready for new graphite, though it will probably bore you because it's so easy and fast.

Warning: Fly Gear collecting is addictive!No No:

There's some advice you don't see every day.

ChristopherA.King

My wife bought me the Orvis encounter for fathers day. I dont have alot to compair it but it seems good to me. 8'6" #5