Glacier National Park

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Last year when I went to Yellowstone, I got some great info from fellow forum fishers.
Anyone have any ideas about fishing in or around Glacier?
I'll be going the second week of September. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Todd71673

I worked at Lake McDonald back in 94', didn't have any transportation around the park so my fishing options were very limited. The best place I found was Lincoln Lake, about a 8 or 9 mile hike in. Did 2 overnight trips there that summer and loved it. Little horseshoe shaped canyon with a tall waterfall, and hungry trout. Grizzly scat all over the place! Be bear aware! Tough to get around the lake, thick vegetation and no trail. Caught a beautiful 20"+ Bull trout and several Cuttys. It is a tough trip, would probably kill me now! Also liked Trout Lake to the NE of Lake McDonald, more of a day hike, I forget the mileage probably about 6-8. Trail goes around half the lake atleast. I kept a couple that day to cook for dinner, hiked out with my creel on my back. I remember being spooked a few times like something was watching me. The next morning they closed the trail due to Griz activity! Float trips outside park would be awesome I'm sure, but in the park your gonna hike to get to good fish! Be sure to check with the ranger station before you hike, probably your best source of info, and we had to reserve the camp site back then. Good luck, it is beautiful there!

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
Thanks for the info Todd. I'm hoping to get a couple of days in on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation as well.

Timberman

It's not Glacier but I spent time in the wigwam river valley bc maybe 60 miles north of glacier. Plenty of bull trout, west slope rainbows in the bigger flows cutthroat in the high lakes and small creeks. Fishing was and is phenomenal fwiw

J Gilbert

I hope somebody comes up with some info, I'll be there part of the week before you (August 30-September 2) before we go down to Yellowstone. I've got a co-worker in Kalispell who should be able to share some insight, I'll be happy to share whatever I find out.

Latest posts