Campfire cooking?

Al33

Who does it? What are some ideas for using all those hot coals for something other than heat and ambiance? How about a Dutch oven, do you ever use one?

Used to, during Thanksgiving weekend at camp, we would cook a turkey in a very unique outdoor oven made from 4 metal fence stakes, tinfoil, and charcoal. While it was cooking,we used coals from our campfire to roast corn in a ground pit. We have also cooked some delicious apples wrapped in foil, not to mention potatoes using the coals.

Sooooo, got any recipes or ideas to pass along?

Al

willbuck

I have always enjoyed those old scout silver turtles. Get a hamburger steak and lay it in the tin foil and cover it with onions and salt and pepper - wrap it and throw it on the coals. Ate a many as a scout and on a lot of camping trips with the gang.

Al33

Baked Apple recipe

Any good cooking apple will work, just peel and core it. Place on heavy or doubled tinfoil. Put a spoon full of your favorite jelly in the core, sprinkle some sugar over it and add a good sprinklin' of cinamon. Wrap it up and place it on a bed of coals. Put afew coals on top and cover it all with ashes. Let it cook about 15 minutes and pull it out. Pretend it has those microwave warnings on it about being hot, cuz if you did it right, it dang sure will be. :rolleyes:

Prolly should of said, don't cook just one 'cause if you got company they are gonna smell it and might hurt you for a bite of it. Besides, it's a sure thing you're gonna want another one anyway.

Al

huntnnut

GONetwork Member
Dixie posted this one awhile back and I tried it and liked it so I'll post it again.

Grilled Vidalia Onion

Peel and core the onion. Slap some butter into one end and then insert a beef boullion cube into the other and then seal of the open end with some more butter. Now wrap with foil and grill about 30 minutes or so till done.

Btw, it's great with a steak and baked tater... :bounce:

AL, I'll have to try the apple recipe soon also. It sounds goooood... :D

willbuck

I have done the onion thing with butter and olive oil with some Zatarains spice's poured into the core. I will have to try the beef cube and see how that works.

E

Etter1

Ialways call it a hobo pack. Add steak, onions, green peppers, and mushrooms. Wrap it in aluminum foil with some dales and worstchestershire. Throw it on the coals. Add cheest slices at the very end.

Jeff Phillips

Dutch Oven Cobbler:

Line a dutch oven with 2 layers of foil (makes cleaning up a breeze)
Add 2 cans of peach or cherry pie filling
Cover and place on coals
Mix 1 can of Sprite to a Yellow Pudding Cake Mix
Mix well
When the pie filling is bubbling pour the cake mix on top
Cover and add some coals on top
When the top starts to brown, check doneness by sticking a spoon into the cake. When it's mostly dry it's done.

Be careful or you'll burn your tounge :p

It's great around the fire after dinner :D

Scouter

Grilled Vidalia Onion with Dales

Huntnnut,
I done the same thing except remove one of the butters and add table spoon of Dales. ::;

teethdoc

Let a small fire simmer down to hot coals, or pull some coals from your camp fire to the side. Throw a thick cut steak directly on the coals (not ash but coals). Cook to your desired doneness turning only once of possible. It cooks faster than normal, and it takes a little practice, but if done correctly it's superb.

Side Note: DO NOT ruin a good steak with Dale's sauce. A little salt is all you need.

Woody's Janitor

teethdoc, I do the same except I coat the steak with oil before throwing it on the fire. It's a great and different flavor. I'm also with you on your advice about not ruinning a good steak!