Different Species of Browns in the Upper Chattooga?

• Thread starter Deleted member 35556
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 35556

Went this past weekend and caught quite a few Brown Trout. One of them was definitely not like the others. Does anybody know if there are a different strains of Brown Trout in those waters?

WinMag.300

browns

they can take on a lot of different characteristics but and is certainly due to whether stocked or wild. Stocked brown trout are almost as as much coagulated genetic mush as stocked Rainbow trout compared to their wild counterparts. Diversity and genetic mutations expose themselves readily in hatchery stock.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There were at least two distinct genotypes of browns brought over and stocked originally- the Scottish Loch Leven strain and the German strain. They are probably pretty well crossed up now, but you can see distinct spot pattern/coloration differences in individual trout, and often between different watersheds. Some of it is genetic, some environmental, like sun/shade, stained/clear water, etc. Also, the difference between a wild, stream-bred brown and a stocked brown is really, really obvious. The stocker looks like a washed-out carp with a few orangish-yellowish spots on it; while the wild brown will usually have a darker background color with crimson blood-red spots and adipose fin, bright golden yellow along the belly and fins.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
It may just be me, but in my experience, it seems that the appearance of browns (more than most fish) is affected by diet. Aquatic crustaceans contain a protein called carotene that gives fish vibrant colors, and browns seem to be especially influenced by this.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that one is different. Never seen one colored exactly like that. Sure doesn't look like a stocker, either. If it is, it's been in there a long, long time.

telsonman

Everytime I fish there I see different looking browns. I swear the last time I was there, last month, one brown had mixed with a brooke. It was a brown with those pinkish spots on it. I don't mean typical brown trout spots. If you've seen a brooke, then you know what I mean. I saw different rainbows too. One had lots of purple in it.

flyrod444

Brown very in color from hole to hole in most of the streams I fish. If caught in a dark hole where the sun doesn't hit often they can be almost black where they are very light in color in the sunnier holes. I got this fish in the very most upper section of the Chattooga two years ago right below where it runs into private land. It is a cross between a brown and a brook. Never seen a wild tiger trout half this big in the past. Not in wild water anyway.
Jack

D

Deleted member 35556

Now that's a pretty trout. That said, I was curious if this was some sort of hybrid cross with a brook/brown. Just not sure. It's definitely different from every other brown i've caught in there. The others were more or less the same, different variations in spots/color, but similar for the most part. This guy was caught quite a ways from the private waters boundary going south.

jigman29

Had a buddy in transelvania county N.C. that used to show me pics of those tiger trout.I love the unique color on them and would love to catch one.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Had a buddy in transelvania county N.C. that used to show me pics of those tiger trout.I love the unique color on them and would love to catch one.

I only know of 2 or 3 streams around here where naturally occurring tiger trout are possible. Would love to see one.

birddog52

Banned
Yes its a hybrid cross between& brook& brown never saw one that big(caught one years ago in a small creek runs into the chattooga and it was hybrid too)