Fly Swap

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I have been asked to host a fly swap. So lets do a "Favorite Fly" fly swap. Any pattern you wish to tie. To sign up the swap, post in this thread.

Rules:
1. Sign up will be until 6/25/14. At that time, the swap will be closed and the tyin begins. Please announce the name of the pattern you will tie also.

2. Flies will be due to the host, me, by 7/30/14. Flies received after that day will be given away in a drawing.

3. Each participant will tie one fly of the same pattern for each other participant. Ie, if there are 10 participants, you would tie 9 flies.

4. Each tyer will submit their set of flies by mail to the host by the deadline. The flies should be mailed in a padded mailer in a crush proof container. Altoid tins are perfect for this. Along with the tin of flies, another padded mailer with sufficient postage for return of the swap flies should be enclosed. The host should not have to pay your postage.

5. Each fly should be toe tagged with tyers user name and name of the fly. Also one note with the recipe of the fly would be nice. Toe tags are small slips of paper attached to the hook.

6.When each tyer is finished, please PM the host for a mailing address to send flies.

7. Once I receive all the flies, I will sort and mail them back to the participants in the mailers provided.

8. If you don't understand the rules or need clarification, don't be afraid to ask. :cool:

So who wants to join? Remember it can be any fly you wish to tie. I will update this post with the user name of each participant and name of the fly you will tie as you join up. I will add RECEIVED to your name and pattern as I receive the flies.

1. Paymaster: Elk Hair Caddis
2. backwoods fisherman: EZ-body minnow Received
3. Dr. Strangelove: Royal Coachman Wet
4. telsonman: Adams (Received, wins the first in bonus)
5. EJTibbetts: Deceiver
6. laskerknight: Lock-Jaw Received
7. Etoncathunter: Winged Black Ant and Clouser Received
8. Biggin13: Mayfly Received

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

I'm in - Royal Coachman wet, though my favorite fly is the Tellico Nymph, the first I learned to tie with my grandfather and caught my first trout on a fly, but I've done it in a swap already.

Thanks for doing these swaps, I've received some really nice flies in the past.

For those new to tying and shy to sign up, jump in, all are welcome, I'm not a very accomplished tier myself.

Last edited:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Ok now! Y'all feather twisters need to jump on in. I know some of you all have looked. Just need a few more to make it worth while.

telsonman

I just need an idea of something to tie. I'm trying to think of something unusual, like using my husky's fur to make like a mosquito like fly. Or using her white tail fur to make something, or maybe my sheltie's long wirey fur to make some sort of streamer...

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I will add you both then you can decide what to tie later.

Dr. Strangelove

telsonman

I guess I could do Adams. It's one of my favorite dry flies and I use it the most. I've caught a lot of fish on them.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
An Adams is good!:)

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Adams it is! :cool:

Oak-flat Hunter

fly swap.

Sign Me up. I've bee having success with a fly that I named lock-jaw.It imitates a larvae of some kind I think. but they really love it

Attachments

• IMG_0683.JPG
    IMG_0683.JPG
    217.5 KB · Views: 528

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
BTW: I will post a good pic of your flies when I receive them.

Need some more folks to get on board!:cheers:

Etoncathunter

I think this is cool but I'm still way to novice to make anything any one would want. I will have to try and get in on this next time ya'll do it. About the only thing I've managed to make so far are some clouser minnows that nothing has been dumb enough to eat, and some ants/beetles that look more like squashed raisins.

flyfisher76544

I think this is cool but I'm still way to novice to make anything any one would want. I will have to try and get in on this next time ya'll do it. About the only thing I've managed to make so far are some clouser minnows that nothing has been dumb enough to eat, and some ants/beetles that look more like squashed raisins.

I feel the same way, don't think you are alone on that

telsonman

I suggest looking at intheriffle.com and checking out their fly tying videos. Awesome stuff

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member

I feel the same way, don't think you are alone on that

Y'all, there no shame in being a novice and we all were at one time. I still consider myself one. Now that said, a great way to practice your skills is joining swaps. Also you get to recieve some great flies others have tied. We want to encourage you to join us in this swap and I promise we won't be slamming or laughing at anything tied by any member of the swap. Give it a try and I think you will have a blast.:cheers:

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Need a few more to participate.

flyfisher76544

Let me see if I can get some material for a pattern I saw that looked really good.