Best redbreast fly?

Silver Bullet

Gentlemen,
I hit up the Satilla the other day and I will never again fish it without the 5 wt. The strikes were awesome and those redbreasts pull! The only problem were my flies. I started out with a few poppers in two different brands. Both were of poor quality and both twisted the tippet to a point that the bugs would roll on the surface. Both brands were near legless after about 30 minutes of fishing. Can anyone suggest a good quality popper that might slow down the line twists? I'm sure that this is a product of the design. Is there a way to fix it? Next time, I might switch to some foam ants and spiders or larger deer hair caddis, but I like a little noise on the twitch.
Thanks,
SB

Randy

No popper or fly of any kind is going to hold up to much of that.

Jack Flynn

I'll second the Booglebugs. Flat on the bottom so they don't roll also. You pretty much need a couple in case you break one off in a tree. Best there is hands down.

fishndoc

3rd on the Boglebugs. The solar flare color is a killer. Sometimes the manufacturer will sell seconds at a nice discount on ebay.

Also, if you are gonna do a lot of bream fishing with pricey poppers, invest in one of the unHOOKum tools you can also get on breambugs. You can dig out deep swallowed hooks from tiny mouths without destroying the popper. Mine has paid for itself many times.

Bream Pole

poppers

Believe it or not sometimes it is that roll that is producing the strikes and I agree the legs won't hold up to constant strikes.

Silver Bullet

Appreciate guys. I'll check them out...

fish hawk

Bass Master
3rd on the Boglebugs. The solar flare color is a killer. Sometimes the manufacturer will sell seconds at a nice discount on ebay.

Also, if you are gonna do a lot of bream fishing with pricey poppers, invest in one of the unHOOKum tools you can also get on breambugs. You can dig out deep swallowed hooks from tiny mouths without destroying the popper. Mine has paid for itself many times.

I'll second the Booglebugs. Flat on the bottom so they don't roll also. You pretty much need a couple in case you break one off in a tree. Best there is hands down.

Boogle Bugs. You can get them at breambugs.com

They'll darn near last forever.

Thanks for the info on the boogle bug and the website,they offer some great bugs.look like a great popper,a little on the expensive side but if they last there worth it....What size do yall fish?

duckbill

I fish a sz 8. I was reluctant to buy a $5 popper but glad I did. I've been using them for a few years and have never worn one out(and you've seen the abuse they take;) ).I've lost them to break-offs, but that's it.
Now that I'm tying my own, I won't be using breambugs as much but Don has a great site.

Oak-flat Hunter

I use a size 10# they really tear up the hackles on them. but I just replace the hackle .I don't believe there is anything out there .That can hold a candle too them in My opinion..!!! When it comes down too fishing the bluegill slabs.