Cremation?

SPITCAN

There seems to be some very knowledgeable folks on here. What do you guys and gals think about it?:pop:

Randy

Good idea to me too. Every time I pass a graveyard I think man that would have made a great piece of hunting land.

sweet 16

Death cost about 1/2 the cost. Our church just put in a nice sitting area and spaces for about 50 urns... Main thought...Husband from one state, wife from another state. 3 adult kids living in 3 other states. I think a space is $600.

GeauxLSU

Personally, it doesn't "sit right" with me and I've never considered it a Christian burial.

Oddly enough, I always assumed my Church was against it and unless I misunderstood (which I'm sure I didn't) Sunday's discussion/description about our new church we are building/renovating this spring, it will have a place in the coutyard for urns. :huh:

Won't have mine in it.

Randy

I already have the deer stand picked where they are to spread my ashes. I have shown it to my wife. I hope a big buck scrapes right in the ashes. This body means nothing to me once I am out of here. Grave sites are for the living and I don't entend to leave a place for people to stand around and talk about me.

My Grandfather meant more to me than anything in the world. After he died I visited his grave once a week, then once a month, then once a year and now hardly ever. And in another 40 years nobody that knew him will be here to visit the place at all. His grave will just be taking up space on this earth that could be used for something else. I do want to take up any space after I am gone.

Nitro

Banned
I am with Randy on this one.

I don't agree that Cremation isn't "Christian" whatever that means.

GeauxLSU

I don't agree that Cremation isn't "Christian" whatever that means.
What it means is, there are no scriptural references to Christian cremations. That practice was reserved for criminals, enemies and idols. I feel safe in saying when the term "Christian burial" is used, it is referencing entombment or burial in the ground. My point was not that it is wrong. Simply that it is not consistent with Christian history nor teachings until apparently very recently. First chamber I believe was invented in around 1870 which began it's use here. The practice of buring bodies obviously predates Christ but Christians did not practice it despite it being common in some areas.

Last edited:

DS7418

Gone But Not Forgotten
Im for it... hope they use my ashes to clogg-up my ex wifes ac unit...

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Im for it... hope they use my ashes to clogg-up my ex wifes ac unit...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I'm for it. Our church (Episcopal) has had a Columbarium (Room where they keep your ashes) for about 20 years.

I'm with Randy. I got the spot picked out where I want my ashes scattered. "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust".

SPITCAN

Without really knowing what is scriptual about it, my only concern is when Christ returns your soul will be reunited with your body. How is that possible if you are in a jar or spread out by a crop duster. I'm probably over analyzing this, but it's been on my mind.

whitworth

Cemeteries

The older I got and the more I traveled, the importance of cemeteries seemed to fade for me.

Of course, my wife and I have ancestors scattered all over the U.S. Rare was more than two generations in any one place. Even in the hometown, I have kin within two generations, buried in five or more cemeteries.

Speaking of hunting, I ran into quite a number of abandoned family cemeteries on deer and small game hunts over the years. That's another story all together.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
Without really knowing what is scriptual about it, my only concern is when Christ returns your soul will be reunited with your body. How is that possible if you are in a jar or spread out by a crop duster. I'm probably over analyzing this, but it's been on my mind.

Spit, the body, in the natural sense will return to the dust of the earth, from whence it came, the soul, if it has been saved will be in Heaven, with all the rest of the beleivers.
There will be no earthly body in heaven.
The body you and I and everyone else lives in here today is not perfect, therefore will not enter into the Kingdom.

As far as my personal feelings go I will not be creamated.

HuntinTom

Retired Moderator
My paw-in-law messed with my wife and her two sisters for years about wanting to be cremated because he knew they were all uncomfortable with it -- Till, one day, I told him that would help us a bunch after he was gone - Instead of having to pay for a coffin and a backhoe to dig the hole - I'd just put him in a coffee can and bury him with a pair of post-hole diggers :) -- Haven't heard much about cremation since... :) As for my personal preference - I'd rather be buried, but whatever will be easiest for those left suits me just fine cause, like branch and others have said - I ain't in that old body no more...

SBG

The believers body will be resurrected and changed in the twinkling of an eye into a perfect glorified body.

If Jesus was able to create us from the dirt, He is capable of forming our bodies anew from the ashes.:clap: :)

Doyle

Tell me what the difference is between Him having to gather up a gazillion ashes and having to gather up a gazillion pieces of "compost" (which is what a body naturally becomes in the absense of modern embalming)? I don't see the difference.