QUOTES BY FAMOUS MEN

Double Barrel BB

QUOTES BY FAMOUS MEN

JOHN BUNYON

A man there was, and they called him mad; The more he gave, the more he had.

In prayer it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart.

Prayer is a shield to the soul, a sacrifice to God, and a scourge to Satan.

Sin is the dare of God's justice, the rape of his mercy, the jeer of his patience, the slight of his power, and the contempt of his love.

I never knew all there was in the Bible until I spent those years in jail. I was constantly finding new treasures.

Afflictions make the heart more deep, more experimental, more knowing and profound, and so, more able to hold, to contain, and beat more.

I would say to my soul, O my soul, this is not the place of despair; this is not the time to despair in. As long as mine eyes can find a promise in the Bible, as long as there is a moment left me of breath or life in this world, so long will I wait or look for mercy, so long will I fight against unbelief and despair.

The best prayers often have more groans than words.

The difference between true and false repentance lies in this: the man who truly repents cries out against his heart; but the other, as Eve, against the serpent, or something else.

Temptation provokes me to look upward to God.

Old truths are always new to us if they come to us with the smell of heaven upon them.

D. L. MOODY

A man can counterfeit love, he can counterfeit faith, he can counterfeit hope and all the other graces, but it is very difficult to counterfeit humility.

Character is what you are in the dark.

Obedience means marching right on whether we feel like it or not. Many times we go against our feelings. Faith is one thing, feeling is another.

God sends no one away empty except those who are full of themselves.

If a man gets drunk and goes out and breaks his leg so that it must be amputated, God will forgive him if he asks it, but he will have to hop around on one leg all his life.

I believe Satan to exist for two reasons: first, the Bible says so; and second, I've done business with him.

Temptations are like tramps. Treat them kindly, and they will return bringing others with them.

Temptations are never so dangerous as when they come to us in a religious garb.

I prayed for faith and thought that some day faith would come down and strike me like lightning. But faith did not seem to come. One day I read in the tenth chapter of Romans, "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God." I had up to this time closed my Bible and prayed for faith. I now opened my Bible and began to study, and faith has been growing ever since.

Real true faith is man's weakness leaning on God's strength.

Seeking to perpetuate one's name on earth is like writing on the sand by the seashore; to be perpetual it must be written on eternal shores.

If we are full of pride and conceit and ambition and self-seeking and pleasure and the world, there is no room for the Spirit of God, and I believe many a man is praying to God to fill him when he is full already with something else.

Earth recedes, heaven opens. I've been through the gates! Don't call me back . if this is death, it's sweet. Dwight! Irene! I see the children's faces. [Dwight and Irene were his dead grandchildren.]

Billy Sunday

He11 is the highest reward that the devil can offer you for being a servant of his.

Try praising your wife even if it does frighten her at first.

More men fail through lack of purpose than through lack of talent.

They tell me a revival is only temporary; so is a bath, but it does you good.

One reason sin flourishes is that it is treated like a cream puff instead of a rattlesnake.

I don't believe your own theory of evolution either; I believe it's pure jackass nonsense.

Don't get chesty over success.

Let's quit fiddling with religion and do something to bring the world to Christ.

I want to preach the gospel so plainly that men can come from the factories and not have to bring a dictionary.

If nine-tenths of you were as weak physically as your are spiritually, you couldn't walk.

I never preach a sermon until I have soaked it in prayer.

When a man, after starting to be a Christian, looks back, it is only a question of time until he goes back.

C.H. SPURGEON

We are saved by faith without works, but not by a faith that is without works, for the real faith that saves the soul works by love and purifies the character.

Self-surrender is one of the essential qualifications for a preacher who is to be a winner of souls.

Be diligent in season and out of season; but in a lively season be doubly laborious.

We know nothing, till we are taught of the Holy Ghost, who speaks to the heart rather than to the ear.