Question for my fellow SBC members?

Hunting Teacher

Our pastor is leaving after 11 1/2 years.
Our deacon body is looking into the Transitional Pastor program offered by the Southern Baptist Convention. Has anyone ever had a transitional pastor? If so, what was your experience?
Teacher

Jeff Phillips

One of my buddies, who was our pastor, has worked with several churches as a transitional pastor. It worked well for the churches and my friend.

He was called to be the fulltime pastor of the last church he was a transitional pastor for.

It is my understanding that the SBC reccomends this program for churches that have issues they need to work through prior to calling a new pastor. The guys who are in the program are trained in resolving issues that create friction within the church.

I think it is a real good program!

PWalls

It is my understanding that the SBC reccomends this program for churches that have issues they need to work through prior to calling a new pastor. The guys who are in the program are trained in resolving issues that create friction within the church.

I agree. I think most churches will have some of their own members (Deacons, maybe) stand up and fill in for a pastor while the search committee finds candidates. Or, they get local pastors from other churches to help out every once in a while.

However, this program sounds good.

Meriwether Mike

We had a great interim pastor from the SBC at my church a couple of years ago. He was the right man from God for us at the time.

lake hartwell

We are going thru it now. It gives the Church a chance to really Pray as Fes said and you don't feel you must fill the position immedately. We are using numerous "supply" Pastors who may do 1 to 5 sermons, then we will probably select an "interium" to use for maybe up to a year. I have been Chairman of Deacons twice and this is NOT the time to make a hasty decision. Let the Lord open the doors. We have a tendency to crash through them and the outcome usually isn't good.

duckbill

Mitch,
Sounds like an excellent program to me. I served on a search committee a couple of years ago. A program like that would have taken a lot of pressure off. Along with search duties, we also had the job of filling the pulpit 3 times a week. This became difficult at times. The Lord always provided someone, but after 10 months I think we were wearing ourselves thin.
The Pastor we called turned out to be "not as described in the brochure:confused: " . I can't help but believe that we, as a church and committee, settled under pressure.
To have a program that would free up the urgency and allow focus and prayer on what is important would be great.
Good luck and you have my prayers.

Tn_Extreme

Banned
best advice for calling a pastor is pray long and pray hard

Amen Festus,

Beware and VERY WARY of a Association that tells you who can preach, what they can preach and teach.

270win

Amen Festus,

Beware and VERY WARY of a Association that tells you who can preach, what they can preach and teach.

Very true, Your church leaders know where your church is spiritually better than the convention does. Because Southern Baptists churches are autonomous they can vary greatly in their styles and their passions for ministry. Nothing wrong with the association helping with the interim preacher though...

Be blessed..