Old Bible Box

reddwil

Just finished this bible box for my mom for her birthday. A fun project with a great history behind it.

Attachments

• 575.jpg
    575.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 376

Handgunner

Fine looking work, Reddwil!

Tell us the history!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That is really nice!

CAL

Good looking box for sure.I am one that loves a pretty box.If you think about it,everything is designed around a box!

reddwil

The Bible box was used by preachers during the colonial days thru western expansion and even during the Civil war days. Preachers would travel around from homes, to barns or any other place where they could hold service. The box was used to safely transport there bibles, hymnals, and other items of worship. My mothers greatgrandfather, was a Baptist preacher and had an old bible box like the one I made. My mother had an old photo of him, made before he died sitting at a table with the box. Her grandfather had the box until he died, then it disappeared. She said she remembered getting the old bible out of it and reading the notes and sermons that were in the box as a young girl. When I gave it to here, the first words out of her mouth were " Grandpa Taylors old Bible Box". I knew I done good.:fine:

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
That's beautiful and thanks for the story behind it.

Handgunner

Be nice if you could post that picture as well.

Again, nice work!