1st Muzzleloader deer

Goddard

I bought my husband a CVA muzzleloader for Christmas last year. He was excited to hunt with it this past weekend. He busted a deer Saturday morning with it while I was hunting with my bow. He said we could hunt together Saturday evening and I could try the muzzleloader. After a disastrous bow season, I was thrilled to put down the sticks. We decided to go to a big field and hope to catch one sneaking through close to dark. We found a great spot to set up between two hay bales backed up to some thick planted pines on top of a ridge. When I say between two bales, I mean between. There wasn't but about a foot and a half between them. We were packed in there like sardines. I was looking to my left and he was looking to the right. Close to dark, he said he saw a buck coming up the ridge and for me to stand up real easy. I thought he was kidding. He just appeared out of now where. I some how eased up(my legs were about asleep from being so cramped) and was able to prop perfectly on the top of the hay bale. My husband kept the binoculars on him. He was out about 65 yards, but I had practiced that distance and felt good. It was a little different with a live deer, but I put the red bead on his shoulder and BAM! He reared up on his back legs and bolted into the pines. I said, "Oh no, did I miss?" I don't know who was shaking more, me or my husband. It was awesome. He said, no you hit him and hit him good. We found him about 26 steps into the planted pines. It was really exciting. My husband said that was the most excited that he has ever been hunting. It was truly awesome. Next time we are going to bring the video camera. Sorry for the long story!! :cheers:

Attachments

• Woody's7pt.jpg
    Woody's7pt.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 501
  • muzzleloader.jpg
    muzzleloader.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 420

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Congrats on a nice buck! I bet you`re ready for your own muzzleloader now.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Nice Buck and great story. Congrats and thanks for post'n.

Slasher

WTG..You gotta love it when it falls into place... a bonus being able to share it with some special is always a plus

Hawken2222

Awesome story, and great deer. Congradulations.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
Good job.

Great story and one you'll never forget.

Guess Mark is hunting with a Bow rest of this week??:D

W4DSB

Nice Buck!