10 year old's first hog

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
We hunted Ocmulgee on Oct. 7-8 for the adult/child hunt which also happened to be the full moon. We didn't see any animals the first morning, but we did find some fairly fresh rooting and some good trails coming out of some cane. Most of the swamp was bone dry and the hogs were not doing too much rooting that we could tell.

With the leaves being so dry we opted to setup near the trails we had found that morning instead of stalking. I had both my 8 and 10 year old with me, but only the oldest was hunting and I was the guide/dragger. At around 6:45 PM we could hear a couple of animals coming toward us through the cane and we got his shooting sticks setup in the direction that we expected the animals to come out. The cane was about waist high and we could see it moving as the animals got closer to the opening. Finally a small hog trotted out of the cane and stopped on the trail. I really wanted to see what size the other hog was, but Josh moved his feet a little too much in the leaves which got the attention of the hog and she toward right toward us.

I figured she was about to run which would have spooked the other hog so I told him to go ahead and take her which he did.:banana:

She dropped at the shot and the other hog stayed in the cane but didn't run. The boys went to shaking like leaves in a storm from the adrenaline rush! Funny how you can be calm when an animal is right in front of you, but when you shoot it or it leaves then your body turns to jello.

We waited about 10 minutes to see if the other hog would come out, but it stayed put until we went up to see the one we got. The one in the can finally ran off back through the cane and never offered a shot.

This was Josh's first hog and he sure has earned it. He has been going with me to Ocmulgee for the a/c hunt for 3 years now, but this was only his second year of carrying the gun. The hog weighed 40# dressed and looked to be the only hog checked out the first day which is pretty unusual for Ocmulgee.

Josh is the one on the left with the GON hat with Brian on the right.

Attachments

• Brian and Josh hog.jpg
    Brian and Josh hog.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 356

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
The grins say it all!! Congrats!

Meriwether Mike

Great picture of the happy hunters. Congrats to all!!:bounce:

capt stan

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ngabearhunter

Awesome, what rifle/caliber works good for him. My sons only 7 mths but I would like to get a rifle to keep up for him.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
nga, he is using my Remington 7400 in 30-06, but he is using the Remington Reduced Recoil bullets which are 125 grain and have half the recoil of a normal round. You can tell a big difference at the shooting range too. I don't mind shooting his bullets, since the normal ones kick so much.

The only bad thing about them is that they do not have enough recoil to eject the shell properly so you have to eject them manually (semi-automatic gun). That's not so bad though since it forces you to make that first shot count.

We use adjustable shooting sticks so that he does not have to hold the gun up without a support, and they work great.

Since we are using only 1 gun I have not gotten a youth model for him. When he's hunting I have all my attention on him and am just the teacher. The adult is allowed to carry a gun, but I am not worried about me getting anything.

Handgunner

Frame that picture!

The smiles say it all!

Al White

Those boys look like they had a blast! Congrats!!

Nugefan

the look on those faces says it all ....

Congrats to the young man .....

DSGB

Definately one for the scrap book! Way to go!:yeah: