cougar

7mm08

so if they don't exist in the state of georgia, what's the penalty for killing one?:huh:

holadude

It's a federal charge I believe. They tell us that in PA as well.

TreeFrog

It ain't worth it- unless of course you were "in fear of your life" and it was necessary to eliminate it to keep it from eating you. I would love for someone to catch one on film finally. I saw one a little over 10 years ago (regular- not black). Wish I had had the camera with me- my sister saw it too. Broad daylight, side of the road, and no way to prove it.:cry:

Joe Moran

Even if you caught it on film, everyone would still say it was a fake.

It's gonna take a dead one to prove it. Either that, or a mass sighting.
Some folks here have posted that a couple DNR rangers, whom they were related to, had seen them.
I thought that a DNR official spotting one was enough confirmation of their existance.

muddy_feet

Banned
Great Grandaddy was a Ranger on Seminole before it was Lake Seminole. He told stories about them to my father and uncles. It was in the late '20 and through the '50's.:banginghe

jason8047

Guys there are regular cougars in Georgia I guarantee it at least north GA. They are usually very reclusive and people wont believe you and I personally have never saw one but when I lived in Macon County NC wildlife biologist had seen and were tracking one around my house. I did hear it but never saw it. They found its den as well. The biologist told me that they have a huge home range and the one around where I lived could be anywhere from N GA to the Smoky MTN national park. Im not saying theyre everywhere because they are a definate rarity but very possible.

RackNBeardOutdoors

Scooter, why don't you post some pictures of the one's you have seen, or get some pics of them, I'm sure you see them regularly since you are confident? :pop: ::ke:

60Grit

Scooter, why don't you post some pictures of the one's you have seen, or get some pics of them, I'm sure you see them regularly since you are confident? :pop: ::ke:

I don't post the pictures of other items as well, wind, time and God, to name a few.

But if you wish to call me a liar over my recount of my encounter with a Cougar in Eatonton then that speaks more to your character than mine.

jason8047

There will always be those that do and those that dont believe things no matter what those things are. There are those who wont believe until they see and those that see and still dont believe and those who will believe anything. Usually the truth lies somehere in the middle. Like I said, I have never saw a cougar in the wild but I think they are some around. Im not talking about these black panthers either, I mean real native mountain lions, puma whatever you want to call em. I will go so far as to say though that if someone told me they saw a "black panther" I wouldnt say they are crazy either. I know that they dont live here but people do own them and it is possible that one could escape. Pirrahna arent supposed to be here either but in 2006 a young man caught a 2 n a half pounder from Tuckertown reservior in NC. Article was published in NC Sportsman magazine.

Last edited:

RackNBeardOutdoors

Scoot, I don't see where I called you a liar, and agree with you on God, but you can take pictures of a cougar/black panther, several people on here say they see them daily, I'm just asking for a little proof, you see Miracles from God daily, birth, the beautiful trees, life itself, you can feel the wind for sure, and you can surely see leaves blowing as the wind blows. Like I said, I don't know where my character is at stake, unless you want to quote where I called you a liar?? I just was asking for some proof, tracks? pictures? That's all bud

60Grit

Scoot, I don't see where I called you a liar, and agree with you on God, but you can take pictures of a cougar/black panther, several people on here say they see them daily, I'm just asking for a little proof, you see Miracles from God daily, birth, the beautiful trees, life itself, you can feel the wind for sure, and you can surely see leaves blowing as the wind blows. Like I said, I don't know where my character is at stake, unless you want to quote where I called you a liar?? I just was asking for some proof, tracks? pictures? That's all bud

If my word for God, time, and the wind are good enough for you then the experience I had in seeing a Cougar in person should stand as well also, without anymore proof than the others require.

As for Black Panthers, most post entertaining such an anomole are in gest. No such creature is indigenous to the Americas. This does not mean that an illegal pet wasn't released somewhere. That happens way too often. Furthermore, I have yet to see a claim of anyone boasting of daily sightings.

Thus your demands are as frivilous as any fraudulant claims may be.

But, all of that being said, I do hope that you have the privilage of observing a cougar in the wild one day. I liken it to my first sighting of a Bald Eagle back in the late 80's near Lake Sinclair. It was an awesome experience, but not as sobering as the reality of exactly where in the food chain I stood when I observed the Cougar.

Pilgrim

Very interesting to me that with the thousands of trail cameras that are never at rest in Georgia - that no one has published a shot of one of these big cats. And with all the yahoos in the woods during turkey and deer season, I don't care what kind of fine there is for shooting a cougar, somebody would shoot one and bragg about it, and it would be discovered.

60Grit

Very interesting to me that with the thousands of trail cameras that are never at rest in Georgia - that no one has published a shot of one of these big cats. And with all the yahoos in the woods during turkey and deer season, I don't care what kind of fine there is for shooting a cougar, somebody would shoot one and bragg about it, and it would be discovered.

Maybe if the trail cams were trained over bunny bait you might see more interesting predators.

Pilgrim

Maybe if the trail cams were trained over bunny bait you might see more interesting predators.
I've actually seen lots of bunnies in trail cam pics. Maybe cougars have trail cam radar that helps them avoid the cameras, and maybe they have that disappearing camo like Predator.

RackNBeardOutdoors

I tried the same approach doe slayer, I'd just let it go till the people who see them on a daily basis have charged batteries in their cameras, or happen to have a camera in their hand when they see one

Latest posts