Messaging App for Andriod?

GoldDot40

Question. Is there an app available that you can use for messaging/texting that uses data/WiFi only, but won't count against monthly allowed text messages thru the provider?

For instance, my sister-in-law is on our plan. We have a text message threshold that we're allowed, but she is coming awfully close to exceeding the limit every month. I'm looking for an app that she can use that the provider won't recognize as a text. We used to have unlimited messaging, but had to cut back temporarily to take care of higher priority finances. When they're caught up, we'll go back to unlimited.

SarahFair

Snapchat

You can send picture, video, or text messages

The picture and videos only last up to 10 seconds everything can only be seen once

GoldDot40

I was not aware that Snapchat did text messages. I will definitely look into that. Thank you.

There's an app called Hangouts that was factory installed on my Android, but I've never used it....actually have it disabled on mine. It may be another I'll read up on. I may see if she has it, too.

I'll let her know about Snapchat though.

T-N-T

Apps are only as good as who is using them. If the persons she is texting doesnt use it then no good.
Id have a good sit down with the SinL.

doomtrpr_z71

Textplus is what I use, I have unlimited data but no text messaging. The app gives you a phone number so you can text people that don't have the app and it also does WiFi calling. Next plus is another alternative that is from the same company.

dieselengine9

I thing Google Hangouts will do this.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
android to android, the safest thing out there is Whatsapp.

totally encrypted from origin to destination. Wifi only, no data charge or text charge. Can send text, videos, or voice mails.

check it out.

rjcruiser

textnow is another one.

You get a phone number assigned and can text to that number and it utilizes data plan (or wifi) to pull up.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher

pcrouch

google hangouts, groupme (good for group texts), or whatsapp

as mentioned, it's all about getting an app/platform that the people you want to communicate all have or use

GoldDot40

Hangouts will send sms etc but its not free, over data etc. It sends via you carrier's service.
I looked into the Hangouts app since my phone has it factory installed. You can turn SMS off so that it only uses data or wifi. Her phone does have it so that's what I'll recommend her to use. I'm pretty sure her boyfriend has a newer android which most likely has it too. If they both have it and will use it, we're golden.

Thanks for the input people...

doomtrpr_z71

If you turn off sms, it wont send a text at all. The only other alternative to use with hangouts is to send text messages with it through google voice.

georgiadawgs44

android to android, the safest thing out there is Whatsapp.

totally encrypted from origin to destination. Wifi only, no data charge or text charge. Can send text, videos, or voice mails.

check it out.

I tried to get this app on my tablet and it says my device isn't capable of running it. It says its designed for phones. I was hoping it would work so my daughter could text her friend. Anyone know of an app that would work for texting on a tablet? She has a Kindle?

sgrantham

I tried to get this app on my tablet and it says my device isn't capable of running it. It says its designed for phones. I was hoping it would work so my daughter could text her friend. Anyone know of an app that would work for texting on a tablet? She has a Kindle?

If they both have Facebook profiles they should be able to use the Facebook Messenger app on the kindle, I know you can on the Ipad.