Buying half a cow

Sugar Plum

Nurse Shuga
My husband and I have decided to go ahead and purchase half a cow, after several "food poisoning" like episodes after eating grocery store ground beef. We have tried different vendors as well as different types of ground beef, but it always ends up the same.

I have a few places to call and get some information from, but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience and/or tips you'd be willing to share?

If you're semi local, where do you get yours? What was approximate cost?

Thanks in advance.

It's a lot of beef, make sure you have a freezer that will handle it, and make sure you really really like hamburger.

If you have any weekend "farmers market" you might cruise by them. We have a couple of farmers that local grass fed beef, and they will sell you a half.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
Shuga call McAfee's in Wrightsville, they'll head you in the right direction, been in business forever.

prydawg

My wife and usually split half of a cow with my parents. We get it from the Houston County FFA. The price is tax deductible as it is listed as a scholarship donation on the receipt. My wife works with a lady who coordinates the thing, but you might be able to call and get the order form from the FFA. I will have to check with the wife to see what we paid last year, but we haven't had to buy ground beef in the last 9 months and still have some until we buy again.

shotgun

McAfee in Wrightsville is a great place. And don't forget the sausage! I go there once a month and it worth the drive.

Sugar Plum

Nurse Shuga
It's a lot of beef, make sure you have a freezer that will handle it, and make sure you really really like hamburger.

If you have any weekend "farmers market" you might cruise by them. We have a couple of farmers that local grass fed beef, and they will sell you a half.

We'd get more than just burger, but yeah, we have the freezer space. We have a stand up freezer just waiting for it. I've got to defrost it again and throw away a few things that we don't use, but there's plenty of room. Thanks!

Shuga call McAfee's in Wrightsville, they'll head you in the right direction, been in business forever.

I've been given that name a few ties now, from local people here, too. Gonna give them a call, for sure.

Sugar Plum

Nurse Shuga
McAfee in Wrightsville is a great place. And don't forget the sausage! I go there once a month and it worth the drive.

I worked down that way last month, it's a drive, but if they know what they're doin' well worth it I suppose!

Hoss78

We buy a half every year, your looking at 6-700 dollars. Be sure to ask how long the beef hangs and how much they charge for freezing, if you want it froze when you pick it up. Lots of small charges in there per pound that can add up fast. Also see if you can be there when they cut and wrap so you can say what gets ground and how big you want your steaks,roast and such.

joey1919

you won't be sorry. I haven't bought ground beef in a long time. we raise and sell cows but keep one back occasionally to keep the freezer stocked up. it looks, smells and tastes different. I was always a little confused by the bright pink stuff at the grocery store. ive opened up a few cows and none of them were neon pink on the inside.

like someone already said, know what you're getting into though. half of a 900-1000lb cow is a lot of meat.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My husband and I have decided to go ahead and purchase half a cow, after several "food poisoning" like episodes after eating grocery store ground beef. We have tried different vendors as well as different types of ground beef, but it always ends up the same.

I have a few places to call and get some information from, but was wondering if anyone had any personal experience and/or tips you'd be willing to share?

If you're semi local, where do you get yours? What was approximate cost?

Thanks in advance.

To give you a little guidance on terminology. What you want is technically not a cow. What you want is actually an animal that was not ever used for breeding as described by the term cow or bull. They too are slaughtered at the end of their useful life but not typically sold in the manner you plan for.

The younger animals typically slaughtered for the traditional beef market could be called a calf, a steer, heifer, yearling, a beef, etc. They were those that someone made the determination early in life were to be prepped for market and not used for breeding.

If you could find a farmer who would sell you a calf and deliver it to a slaughter house for you that would be your best bet IMO.

Hope this helps.

joey1919

If you could find a farmer who would sell you a calf and deliver it to a slaughter house for you that would be your best bet IMO.

Hope this helps.

that would probably be the cheapest option. our processor/butcher will actually just come to the farm and pick them up. just make sure you understand what you're getting. most farm bought cows (milkman is right steer/heifer) would likely be "grass-fed" which is fine if that's what you want. buying a grain fed cow would likely have to be arranged well in advance as this is a process that takes a few weeks.

grouper throat

Just to shed a little more light on it, you'll get more grain fed beef via your FFA show auctions and half is a good bit of beef. It lasts us more than half a year easily. You might want to check with a processor as they normally have other folks wanting to do what you're doing.

j_seph

We'd get more than just burger, but yeah, we have the freezer space. We have a stand up freezer just waiting for it. I've got to defrost it again and throw away a few things that we don't use, but there's plenty of room. Thanks!

I've been given that name a few ties now, from local people here, too. Gonna give them a call, for sure.
I think what he is saying is if you buy a half a beef, a lot of the meat will be ground just as in deer meat. You figure 400 pound a side, that gonna be a lot of ground not just steaks and roast

georgia357

most farm bought cows (milkman is right steer/heifer) would likely be "grass-fed" which is fine if that's what you want. buying a grain fed cow would likely have to be arranged well in advance as this is a process that takes a few weeks.

It cost us a little bit more for a grain fed cow but the meat was better then any we've ever had. Well worth it to me.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
If you purchase direct from the farmer you can get a calf of any size they are willing to sell. Maybe 500 lbs that would yeild 250 lb of meat.

It wouldnt have to be a 1000 lb steer.

I think what he is saying is if you buy a half a beef, a lot of the meat will be ground just as in deer meat. You figure 400 pound a side, that gonna be a lot of ground not just steaks and roast

Yeah, this.

First time I bought a whole cow, it had a "standard cut", it was well done at a local abattoir, but they throw all the trimmings into the grinder. I was just amazed at how much hamburger you end it with.

It was a 4H cow, and I have to say, the hamburger was better than most steaks restaurants serve.

gobbleinwoods

Keeper of the Magic Word
Just bought a grain fed 1/2 a heifer and it was actually smaller than what I am used to buying.

Expect approximately half the meat to be ground beef.