If you love the old hymns.

Hunting Teacher

If you're like me and love the old hymns, then you need to get Alan Jackson's CD "Precious Memories"
His clean clear country voice brings back a lot of wonderful, spiritual memories to me, sitting in my grandparents church.
He just about covers all the great ones. Blessed Assurance, Softly and Tenderly, I Love to Tell the Story, I'll Fly Away, In The Garden, The Old Rugged Cross, How Great Thou Art and more!
I get in my truck, turn on the CD and all the daily garbage melts away, and I can start worshipping our Lord!
Check it out.
Teacher

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
It's a good cd my son has it.

SBG

If you're like me and love the old hymns, then you need to get Alan Jackson's CD "Precious Memories"
His clean clear country voice brings back a lot of wonderful, spiritual memories to me, sitting in my grandparents church.
He just about covers all the great ones. Blessed Assurance, Softly and Tenderly, I Love to Tell the Story, I'll Fly Away, In The Garden, The Old Rugged Cross, How Great Thou Art and more!
I get in my truck, turn on the CD and all the daily garbage melts away, and I can start worshipping our Lord!
Check it out.
Teacher

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I mean it with all due respect...

But I really have a hard time listening to a person that sings about drankin' and runnin' around on one album, then sing gospel songs another. It just smacks me that its a way to exploit the gospel for money.

Don't get me wrong. I think that Alan Jackson is a very talented person and probably of a good character, but I would prefer to spend my money on someone that does it for the Lord full time.

Again, this ain't a knock on anyone, just my conviction.

Jody Hawk

It just smacks me that its a way to exploit the gospel for money.

Alan said that his Mama always wanted him to do a gospel album. It was for her. I don't think he needs the money. I'm just glad that he chose to do that over a CD full of drinking and cheating songs.

Last edited:

Lostoutlaw

YEPPERS on Alan Jackson:flag: :clap: :pop:

I met him years ago he played with marion cantrell, The old rugged cross was my dads number one song. Alan Jackson is a good man.

CAL

Here we go again,choosing sides about a person most know nothing about.If a man sings the gospel,he can't be all bad if any at all.I never have heard a person sing the gospel what didn't know something about it.That is a good disc and a pleasure to listen to to me.Sing on Alan Jackson!

SBG

Here we go again,choosing sides about a person most know nothing about.If a man sings the gospel,he can't be all bad if any at all.I never have heard a person sing the gospel what didn't know something about it.That is a good disc and a pleasure to listen to to me.Sing on Alan Jackson!

I guess you missed the intent of my post...

I suppose if Alice Cooper decided to do a gospel album that would be okay?

I guess if it makes you feel good...do it.

Hunting Teacher

Please don't take this the wrong way, because I mean it with all due respect...

But I really have a hard time listening to a person that sings about drankin' and runnin' around on one album, then sing gospel songs another. It just smacks me that its a way to exploit the gospel for money.

Don't get me wrong. I think that Alan Jackson is a very talented person and probably of a good character, but I would prefer to spend my money on someone that does it for the Lord full time.

Again, this ain't a knock on anyone, just my conviction.

Hey SBG,
I certainly understand where you are coming from.
My wife and I talked about this the first time we listened to the CD as a matter of fact. We both hoped that singing these songs will have an effect on Alan Jackson's life.
As far as spending money and "supporting " the wrong person, I guess I just view it a little differently.
Is buying that CD really any different than buying cheap stuff at WalMart when we know the money we spend helps support a communist, oppressive government that allows little or no opportunity for the citizens to learn about Jesus?
I think it's the same as eating in a restaurant that hires gay waiters, or cheering for a favorite stock car driver as his car zooms around the track covered in a beer logo.
We are not to be of this world, but we must still live in it to some degree.
SBG,
You have a good point and maybe I shouldn't have bought this CD. I can tell you though when I listen to it, I am truly worshiping God. I don't feel like He is disappointed in me but I could easily be wrong. I very often am.
In Christ,
Mitch

SBG

Hey SBG,
I certainly understand where you are coming from.
My wife and I talked about this the first time we listened to the CD as a matter of fact. We both hoped that singing these songs will have an effect on Alan Jackson's life.
As far as spending money and "supporting " the wrong person, I guess I just view it a little differently.
Is buying that CD really any different than buying cheap stuff at WalMart when we know the money we spend helps support a communist, oppressive government that allows little or no opportunity for the citizens to learn about Jesus?
I think it's the same as eating in a restaurant that hires gay waiters, or cheering for a favorite stock car driver as his car zooms around the track covered in a beer logo.
We are not to be of this world, but we must still live in it to some degree.
SBG,
You have a good point and maybe I shouldn't have bought this CD. I can tell you though when I listen to it, I am truly worshiping God. I don't feel like He is disappointed in me but I could easily be wrong. I very often am.
In Christ,
Mitch

Mitch, believe me, everyone has different convictions. I know that mine stem from the fact that I used to spend way to much money on albums and concerts by people that are pushing things that a Christian shouldn't be supporting. I have no doubt that when you listen to the CD, you are listening to the song and the message...AJ is just the vehicle that gets it to you. Hey, I love to hear Elvis sing "How Great Thou Art." I just wished that he would have lived a life that could have been a testimony for the Lord. Just imagine the millions he could have reached.

My problem isn't with Alan Jackson per se, it is with an industry that promotes things that are not complimentary to the gospel of Christ one minute, and the very next want to sing "songs for mama."

Just once I'd love to hear one of the big stars as they were receiving an award say, "First and foremost, I want to give thanks to my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ." Then, I might be more prone to support their gospel albums.

BTW...I'll shut up now. Sorry for hijacking your thread.

CAL

I guess you missed the intent of my post...

I suppose if Alice Cooper decided to do a gospel album that would be okay?

I guess if it makes you feel good...do it.

NOPE,I didn't miss the intent of your post.I think you miss mine and I don't guess about anything.Might make the wrong guess,guessing.I don't know much about stars but i try not to knock anyone about anything I don't know for sure about.I do know for a fact that Alan Jackson rather recently did a concert to raise money for a sick child that was facing some expensive operations and raised over $170,000.00.I do know that the fore mentioned tap was done for his mother and not for safe but demand called for it.I just can't see me or anyone else in purgatory for listening to Alan Jackson singing gospel music.

SBG

NOPE,I didn't miss the intent of your post.

Yep...you missed it.

That concert that AJ did for the little girl should be just about enough to put him over the top and get him to heaven.