Roof Damage from wind-Insurance Claim?

yellowfin

I purchased my first home two years ago. It has the original roof on it from 2001. It is showing some signs of wear and I have just noticed from the current high winds we have experienced that some of my shingles are gone. I noticed many of my neighbors have new roofs and when I spoke with them they said an inspector came out and said they had hail damage. I live on a knoll and we get some bad storms that come through. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Is it worth calling out someone and getting a new roof. I would think I am getting close and would probably go back with a metal roof if I do. I was hoping insurance would cover it? Thanks for any advice.

660griz

Is it worth calling out someone and getting a new roof.

Yes it is. We had roof damage from hail and didn't notice it. Roofing company came by and did a free inspection. Called insurance company, they verified same, cut me a check.

yellowfin

Anyone have a recommended roofing company in the south metro area I can trust?

brunofishing

Call your Insurance agent and ask him or her who they work with. I work with a lot of different ins co and all of theme are different. Some will send a restoration co out to look at it for you, if they find damage they will fix it and give you a warranty through your insurance. All you will have to pay is your deductible, if you have a replacement policy..

Rich Kaminski

I had hail damage and State Farm wanted to prorate the roof based on its age. After the prorating they didn't want to pay for anything. I called in a company and paid to have it replaced myself.

660griz

I had hail damage and State Farm wanted to prorate the roof based on its age. After the prorating they didn't want to pay for anything. I called in a company and paid to have it replaced myself.

That is amazing. We have State Farm and they paid for the roof with no problem. They even noticed the cover on my fire pit had damage and paid for that to be replaced.

StriperrHunterr

Start with insurance company and get the list of their providers in that area. Then hit the googles to see which gets the best reviews and schedule a consult with them first.

That is amazing. We have State Farm and they paid for the roof with no problem. They even noticed the cover on my fire pit had damage and paid for that to be replaced.
Two neighbors have State Farm they done exactly the samething. I don't get why patch a roof and leave the old there. They only wanted to replace half the roof. Everyone else around us including myself got new roofs check in a week and roof replaced in a day

Wild Turkey

Whatever you do.
Dont call one of those roofing companies that tell ya they will handle the insurance claim and get you to sign an agreement.
Goto the insurance co and make a claim. If they insist the check goto the roofer make them pick the roofer.
That way the burden of completion and payment is on them.

FootLongDawg

I just went through all of this a year ago. Got a new roof, insurance paid, I was one happy camper. Then I got my homeowners renewal policy. Price went out of sight. I had a previous claim a year before from a water pipe breaking in a concrete slab. I had no other claims going back at least ten years. My agent said it went up because I had two claims in three years. Just saying, nothing is free or near free with insurance.

westcobbdog

I had Gary Hobbs with SWAT roofing in Marietta meet the state farm adjuster at my house. Instant roof. However, my prior two attempts to file a legit claim with State Farm were denied.
Completely bogus as they planned to tell me no beforehand, as too many roof claims were pouring in. I was basically told its best to file a roof claim when everyone else isn't.

skiff23

It all depends on the adjuster and how good of a company you have. You pay insurance for catastrophe damage but to many people now claim for age and simple things. Some adjusters let it ride , some don't. If the storm messed up your roof , call your agent that is the only person in the chain of insurance that works for you. Everybody else works for the insurance company.
If your roof has age going against it , put it on yourself. If you file it is a mark against you and if you file to much they will raise your rates and cancel you.
They are there to make money , not to protect you !

flyfisher1

That doesn't sound like State Farm. My roof was about 20+ yrs old, inspector came out and found enough hail divots in an x by x square, circled them with chalk and said I had enough hail damage for a claim. A week later they were cutting me a check to pay for a new roof of about $6500, minus $1000 deductible.

brunofishing

On catastrophic loss, they will send in a team of adjusters that are sub contractors for the ins.co. Independent adjusters. They have to mark off a 10x10 area on all the slopes of the roof, In that area they have to circle at least 10 hits of damage. If they find damage OVER half of the roof they will replace it all. If its under half they will only pay for the slopes that are damaged. From experience working in this industry, I THINK it is against the law for your homeowners to raise your premium due to a claim, they can cancel your homeowners though..

SowGreen

I purchased my first home two years ago. It has the original roof on it from 2001. It is showing some signs of wear and I have just noticed from the current high winds we have experienced that some of my shingles are gone. I noticed many of my neighbors have new roofs and when I spoke with them they said an inspector came out and said they had hail damage. I live on a knoll and we get some bad storms that come through. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do?
Is it worth calling out someone and getting a new roof
. I would think I am getting close and would probably go back with a metal roof if I do. I was hoping insurance would cover it? Thanks for any advice.

To answer your question, yes it is definitely worth having it checked out. After all that is what you have insurance for. This is coming from someone that has dealt with 1000's of insurance claim jobs, not all insurance companies are created equal. For that matter either are adjusters.

The problem is you never know what you're going to get with your insurance company or your adjuster. My advice to anyone that is planning on making a claim is to have a third party to represent your interest. As much as the big guys want you to think they are "Like a good neighbor" or you are in "Good hands", the bottom line is they are looking after their bottom line and not your best interest.

Shoot me a pm Yellowfin and we'll see what I can do to help you out.

3d foam killer

Malcom White of magnum gutters and metal roofing is one stand up guy. He will work with the insurance company and will do it in a very timely manner. I swear by this guy. And that is hard for me to say because i don't stick my neck out for anyone. He does all of the shingle roofs on our new house builds and the metal roofs when we have clients ask for them occasionally. Give him a call! 4045168357

aka rotten

I can tell you from personal experience ,if you go metel roof rout,Jackson metel roof,did great job for us,1 1/2 days,outta here.Love it.Pm me if you wish.

GoldDot40

Something else to consider. Some adjusters will pull weather history data to see when the last time there was hail sufficient enough in size to cause roof damage. If you didn't own the property or have the property insured by your current provider before the last significant hail storm, you will likely have your claim denied.

Wind damage is more frequent. I had my roof 'replaced' a few years back due to wind damage. Insurance co would only agree to one side. For the quote the roofer gave for one side....another roofer said he'd do the entire roof with metal...actually for less money. That's the route I went and haven't looked back.

wranglerjoe1968

Call Jackson Metal roofing just put on our roof. I highly recommend this company. Best price that I found on a metal roof. High quality work very professional. Let me know if you need to contact them. I do get a referral fee. LOL every little bit helps

Rich Kaminski

State Farm prorates every roof for hail damage

It is their policy.