12 yr old tore his ACL

jbird1

My 12 year old son tore his ACL playing football at school during recess. It was a non-contact injury we think. He caught a pass and had just juked a defender and turned up field when his knee gave out. After researching it, it appears the surgery for adolescents isn't as cut and dry as it is for those who have reached skeletal maturity. Basically, there is some risk involved as far as the procedure damaging the growth plates which can lead to negative long term effects. I'm just curious to know if anybody has and experience with this injury in a child. Thanks

bruiserbuckgrower

My neighbors kid did something similar and they will not do surgery until he is 19 happened when he was 14 now 17 sad thing all the way around, kid is 6-2 6-3 190 or so and has his heart set on playing college ball wide reciever.

jbird1

My neighbors kid did something similar and they will not do surgery until he is 19 happened when he was 14 now 17 sad thing all the way around, kid is 6-2 6-3 190 or so and has his heart set on playing college ball wide reciever.

Yeah, it was kind of a freak accident. He said he thinks he stepped in a depression / pot hole in the recess field. We might have to go the same route and hold off until he is done growing...football days might be over.