Rabid Raccoon. In Jackson/Barrow County line.

jonkayak

Was going to our land today to see how the painter was coming along on the house and noticed what looked like a drunken raccoon in the road. Remember it was sleeting and raining and 4:00 in the evening. As I turned down the drive he made his way slowly to the creek and I kind of figured that was the end of it. As I went down the drive I see the raccon come running from the brush straight for the truck. Then he starts attacking the truck. At this point between being day light, drunken, and attacking a 6000lbs truck I figure he must be rabid. Get out of the truck and put a little distance between us then a 9mm round through the shoulder. Flips him over but it doesn't stop him. Now he's mad and coming at me. 2nd round went center mass and still keeps coming. Third round resulted in no brain activity. Never shot a Raccoon before but I figures 3 rounds seems like a high round count or are they really that tuff? Given a few of the neighbors down the road maybe he got into their meth stash.

One I'm surprised to see what was probably a rabid raccoon this early in the year.

2nd I'm seriously rethinking Hornady Critical Defence Rounds.

So if you are near the Jackson, Barrow, Clarke County line keep an eye out.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
The coon needs to be tested. I would contact the dnr about this. .02 worth.

Broncoxlt

the state lab usually will not test if no human or domesticated animal contact with suspected rabid animal. also if shot it in the head may not be testable due to needing a brain biopsy to do the test. Another possibility is distemper virus shares some of the symptoms

jonkayak

Didn't contact DNR but I did call Jackson County and they told me they would get it test it and charge me for it. I'll call DNR in the morning. Didn't even think about calling them.

300Pins

if it didn't expose anyone no need to test. we already know rabies is present in raccoons it's nothing new.

dawg2

AWOL ADMINISTRATOR
Most likely rabid, have killed a few at my house like this. I wouldn't waste time testing the raccoon unless it bit a pet or a person. Rabies does not go away in winter. They (animals) can be rabid any time of year.

the state lab usually will not test if no human or domesticated animal contact with suspected rabid animal. also if shot it in the head may not be testable due to needing a brain biopsy to do the test. Another possibility is distemper virus shares some of the symptoms

Clarke County, we had two raccoons just keel over and die in the middle of the backyard, about 3 days apart.

Otherwise healthy looking full grown raccoons, just laying there stretched out dead. We have two dogs, one a sure 'nuff killer and neither dog would touch them.

My thought was that they had been poisoned, or seriously diseased.

Called everyone that should have been interested, but unless a person or animal was bitten, no one was interested.

Odd thing was ACC animal control said put it in the garbage, which ACC solid waste says not to do.

Oh well.