Anyone working for CAT....

bowtechrulez

I recently got offered a job at CAT but am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I really want to pursue this opportunity but am leery. For one I am currently in a position at work where I am successful but not making the money I should be in my line of work and my job is very secure.

My only hesitation with jumping in head first is the "security". Like most of us I want to provide for family and am not looking for some part time temp job. I am looking at the future. And I have heard of the draw backs at big companies such as CAT that you are a speck in the sand bc the employee # are so high.

I guess where I am getting at is do any of you men/women have any experience with CAT or even just any advice? I am trying to gather all info I can and really break this situation down b/c it is an important one. It offers only $2 hr right now but that is the base pay and only neg is it is 1 hr away..........thoughts....

tad1

If you have kids come on over to Oconee county. Pretty good schools. I know what you mean about job security though. Could you negotiate salary at your current employer or for the new job? Maybe your current employer will listen up if you have another offer? Good luck with your situation!

I have a family member that was in a management position with the truck engine side. Aslong as you don't abuse your powers and take advantage of them you can grow a lot with them. He started as a mechanic and worked his way up to be over the entire building. He abused his position and was terminated... A lot of room to grow and make really good for your family

tad1

Keep in mind benefits which are often overlooked when looking at salary. Insurance costs can be huge and retirement plans make a big difference. And it should go without saying but quality of life is probably the most important factor of all. Like do you enjoy your work environment and the people that you work with. A commute isn't necessarily bad although if you are doing that 5+ days a week that can be a significant vehicle, fuel, and YOUR TIME cost.

dieselengine9

As mentioned above, as long as you do your job you will do nothing but advance at CAT if you are good at what you do and have a good moral foundation.

SGADawg

A friend of my son's that lives at Toccoa has been posting that the CAT facility where he works (Toccoa area, not sure which specific plant) will be closing in a year or so. I don't know how many plants they are closing.

You may want to check this out before jumping.

bowtechrulez

A friend of my son's that lives at Toccoa has been posting that the CAT facility where he works (Toccoa area, not sure which specific plant) will be closing in a year or so. I don't know how many plants they are closing.

You may want to check this out before jumping.

The plant I am referring to is in Bogart (Athens area)

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
I worked for many years in manufacturing. The thing about it with them is it seems to run in cycles. One year its overtime out the ying yang.......... then 6 months later either short weeks or layoffs. Cats Athens plant makes loaders, back hoes, etc. Sales of construction equipment is probably going gangbusters now due to the building boom returning.

Some good advice is given above. IMO someone should look for benefits like a decent retirement plan, group rate health and prescription insurance, sick leave, vacation leave. Some manufacturing company's and most government jobs offer this sort of security

One interesting fact about the Bogart plant is that CAT closed a plant in China and moved that production to Bogart.

The machines Bogart makes are smaller machines, and a lot of the production is for export.

I recently got offered a job at CAT but am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I really want to pursue this opportunity but am leery. For one I am currently in a position at work where I am successful but not making the money I should be in my line of work and my job is very secure.

My only hesitation with jumping in head first is the "security". Like most of us I want to provide for family and am not looking for some part time temp job. I am looking at the future. And I have heard of the draw backs at big companies such as CAT that you are a speck in the sand bc the employee # are so high.

I guess where I am getting at is do any of you men/women have any experience with CAT or even just any advice? I am trying to gather all info I can and really break this situation down b/c it is an important one. It offers only $2 hr right now but that is the base pay and only neg is it is 1 hr away..........thoughts....

You have to look at the total package: salary, benefits, time off, etc. Is the $2 extra per hour worth and hour each way ($.55 per mile), probably not.......If you factor in benefits.......is it worth it........you will have to do the math.

BCD

My wife works for CAT. They have great benefits. nice 401k and additional retirement. Insurance for her and my 2 kids is less than $100 per month. 4 weeks vacation after 1 year of service. Assembly and fab. do work over depending on orders. Assembly only works 4 day work weeks unless overtime is needed. They do and have promoted several people she knows. They will terminate for horseplay and being lazy. Just like any other job. PM me for additional details.