New Gun Missing (Long)

660griz

I ordered two guns from an out of state supplier. These were to be delivered to a shop in my home town.

First: I get two tracking numbers. This makes sense to me but, both tracking number shows 2 boxes and only one tracking number leaves the facility.

Second: I get a call from the out of state supplier the night before my guns are to be delivered stating that my GUN is ready for pickup. I explain that I am out of state and can't pick it up that is why I had them shipped to Newnan.
"Oh", he says. And states he will get it all worked out tomorrow.

Third: I monitor tracking number online and see when it has been delivered. I get a call from the local shop informing me that my GUN has arrived. I questioned, "You mean guns right?" He says, "No, just one gun even though the ticket says 2 boxes."
He says maybe the UPS man forgot it.

Forth: I call the out of state shop and inform them that I only got one. They called the local shop and asked him to question the UPS guy today.
If they can't find it, out of state shop says they will initiate a UPS investigation. Out of state shop states that 2nd tracking number was a mistake and will be voided. Both guns were shipped under one tracking number.
I asked the out of state shop if it is common practice to ship multiple guns under one tracking number. They said, "yes". I asked them didn't that make it hard to track the guns. He stated, "No". I asked him where is my other gun then? He didn't know. I hope their policy is changed for this.

Needless to say, I am a little nervous.

My thoughts are that the local shop should not have signed for 2 boxes if only one was delivered.

All I know is somebody owes me a couple guns or $2000.

Now, suppose the out of state shop didn't ship 2 guns, or ups lost a gun a long the way. Doesn't it still come down to the poor local shop guy signing for 2 boxes and getting one?
If I have to go to court, wouldn't he, unfortunately, be responsible?
I have a feeling he didn't really lose or keep the extra gun but, there doesn't seem to be a way to prove it if the entire chain of custody states 2 boxes and only 1 box is available to me.

cowhornedspike

2 boxes require 2 labels and 2 tracking numbers unless they are taped together as one. I have has some suppliers do that when the boxes are small and of similar size so they could ship with one label. I don't think UPS will do it the way you described so sounds like the shipping dealer is at fault here.

sinclair1

I ship a lot of packages, two boxes get two tracking numbers and if it is suggested both went in one box, you should be able to check the story by the weight as it passed thru the hub to the gun dealer.

If your light one guns weight, the shipper is out of gas.

rjcruiser

Did you pay with Credit Card? If so, call them and initiate a claim saying you've been charged for something you didn't receive. They'll reimburse you and take it up with the vendor.

StriperrHunterr

Personally I'd save all the paperwork from these conversations, dates/times, who, etc., in case this weapon shows up in a LEO investigation at some point. You may never need it, but it'll be good to have if you do, to show that it wasn't in your possession at the time in question.

660griz

2 boxes require 2 labels and 2 tracking numbers unless they are taped together as one. I have has some suppliers do that when the boxes are small and of similar size so they could ship with one label. I don't think UPS will do it the way you described so sounds like the shipping dealer is at fault here.

Exactly. Just spoke with local shop owner and UPS. They state there is no way you can ship two boxes with one tracking number.

You need to have a Come to Jesus meeting with the shipper.

Regardless of what run around they give you, it is the shippers obligation to deliver the guns to you. To paraphrase the Duke, they lose, UPS loses it, anybody at all loses, the shipper is responsible.

If they tell you to file a claim with UPS, tell them to pound sand -- the shipper is the one with the claim for UPS.

Personally, unless this was a killer deal on Custer's rifle, I would ask for my money back right now, and go on. If a CC, follow the above advice and start a chargeback.

I'm getting crusty in my old age, but I don't have time to be working out someone else screw up.

660griz

Resolved! I hope.
Sent them an email, and voicemail, stating that after speaking with ups and various shippers (you guys:)), I was informed that 2 boxes cannot be shipped with 1 tracking number. Therfore 1gun was not shipped to me.

Approximately 2 hours later, I got a call that they found it. It was shipped to another one of their stores in same state. They sent me a new tracking number yesterday. Package hasn't moved but could be weather related.

660griz

Personally, unless this was a killer deal on Custer's rifle, I would ask for my money back right now, and go on. If a CC, follow the above advice and start a chargeback.
Unfortunately, they did have a killer deal. Even their deal has gone up $200 since my order.
It is not Custer's rifle but, if he would have had this one , history would be rewritten. :)

Approximately 2 hours later, I got a call that they found it. It was shipped to another one of their stores in same state. They sent me a new tracking number yesterday. Package hasn't moved but could be weather related.

Glad it worked out for you.

Bet their logbook makes for some interesting reading.

660griz

Update. Package for missing gun is on the move. Going to pick up the one that did arrive today.

I hope their compliance/customer service dept., realizes they do not ship two guns with one tracking number now.

I did sleep pretty good last night. For awhile, I was wondering what I was going to do with all the stuff I purchased for the firearms before I even had them.
I know, premature accessorize-ation.

Thanks for all the responses. This really helped me avoid a full on panic. :)

bronco611

glad that they got the problem resolved for you. I work for UPS Freight and alcohol tobacco and firearms area big deal when something comes up short or damaged. This falls under the jurisdiction of ATF especially on anything short as a firearm may have been stolen in transit which could if pursued far enough bring in a federal investigation on issues of this matter. It usually never goes that far as a fed investigation but very easily could which could be bad news if anyone took it while in transit. Then you have interstate theft issues and atf issues.