Fly Fishing from a Kayak

ForsythGlock

Does anyone do this? I plan to fish the flats for Redfish off St. George island this summer, and I was going to practice by fishing for bluegill on Lake Lanier. I am a beginner, so I guess I need to practice fishing from the bank first, but is it even feasible to fly fish from a kayak? If so, any tips?

615groundpounder

Its very doable to fish from a kayak. It partly depends on what type of kayak you get. Some are definitely a lot better than others. I have a Jackson Coosa which is a very good fishing kayak. I like the ability to stand and fish from my yak which is what I do the majority of my time. I do not fish Lanier though from my kayak. I have a bigger boat for Lanier. I see many people kayak fishing Lanier but you definitely need to do everything you can to stay safe there. I definitely would not do it in the summer time with all the wild boaters at that time. Find a quiet little cove if thats possible. And if you are wanting to gear towards fishing for Reds. I would want to be able to stand so you can sight fish better. Its also a lot easier casting a fly rod while standing. But standing in a kayak isn't for everyone. Depends on what your comfortable with even though there are some very stable kayaks out there.

fishndoc

I'm gonna disagree with GP a little here; while I love to stand when fishing small lakes and ponds, for big water, and especially salt, a kayak that can cover longer distance fast and with less effort are more important to me. And fast yaks are usually not boats you can stand up in.

And fly fishing from a kayak for salt water can definitely be done, it's just a really big jump from beginner level. You might want to bring along a spinning rod for backup when you visit St. George.

ForsythGlock

Its very doable to fish from a kayak. It partly depends on what type of kayak you get. Some are definitely a lot better than others. I have a Jackson Coosa which is a very good fishing kayak. I like the ability to stand and fish from my yak which is what I do the majority of my time. I do not fish Lanier though from my kayak. I have a bigger boat for Lanier. I see many people kayak fishing Lanier but you definitely need to do everything you can to stay safe there. I definitely would not do it in the summer time with all the wild boaters at that time. Find a quiet little cove if thats possible. And if you are wanting to gear towards fishing for Reds. I would want to be able to stand so you can sight fish better. Its also a lot easier casting a fly rod while standing. But standing in a kayak isn't for everyone. Depends on what your comfortable with even though there are some very stable kayaks out there.

I looked at the Jackson Coosa and that is a NICE boat.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Fly fishing from a kayak aint easy......Seems like you line is always getting tangled on something.

Anvil Head

With bull reds....your line will get tangled with anything available....just saying.
As mentioned reds in salt is a tremendous difference from bluegills and bass on Lanier.
I fish from an old Jackson Coosa as well, and do it standing. Does take some practice, but worth the effort. Lot of open water in the flats of SGI so you are going to have wind problems, just expect it and take a drag anchor or sock.
The biggest trick I had to learn with standing and playing a big red was when he changed direction and zips by in the opposite direction. Keeping you line tight and not letting him lever you to either side can be down right exciting. Center of balance gets really narrow. Sitting down is best bet, but it becomes much more difficult to clear any slack stripped line (you cannot reel fast enough for a bull), so tangles are somewhat eminent.
But, all that aside, wouldn't miss a minute of it. They can take you for a nice ride.
I would suggest staying off bigger water until you get good at handling bigger fish. Plenty of grassy back water in that area and a short drive east to Alligator Bay or Och Bay (back in the back ends), with short access from a ramp. Just do some satellite scanning many are not marked on maps.
And be sure to secure everything before you stand up for the first cast...goes without saying.

615groundpounder

I have removed all of the unused hooks bungees and even the foot pegs in which I never use from my kayak. I am pretty much fly fish only and wanted a nice clean deck for my line not to tangle on anything.

Randy

I fly fish from kayaks almost exclusively. As do my clients. Mostly for shoal bass but inshore for reds is certainly doable and done. This red came from a canoe, kayaks are even easier...

crackerdave

It's not hard to flyfish from a yak sitting down.I'm too old for standing up in one,though.Them oyster beds can really cut you up,if you fall.I should say "when" you fall.:)