What to put on 4x4 posts to make them last longer?

660griz

If they are completely dried, I don't see why it would hurt.
I sealed my deck after it sat for about a year to get all the moisture out. You probably don't need to wait that long but, that is what I told my wife. :)

Shadow11

These will be put about 3' into the ground. They r treated, but i know that even treated posts dont last all that long under ground. Ive heard some people say that you need to coat the underground end with tar or some kind of sealer, and others say no because water will collect inside the bottom of post if you do that. Should i do the entire post? Just the in ground end? None at all? Advice appreciated.

Luke0927

Diesel fuel and old motor oil always worked well, that was the old way for country folks. Not sure many folks do it that way now.

Probably just tar them up and bury. If you are concreting slope away the concrete at the top where water doesn't stand at the base of the post.

Wild Turkey

You do realize there are 2 types of pressure treated lumber.
Above ground and below. Get the below ground grade 4x4's

j_seph

Maybe 6 inches of so of gravel in bottom of hole would help also

Shadow11

You do realize there are 2 types of pressure treated lumber.
Above ground and below. Get the below ground grade 4x4's

No i didnt know. The only place i have around here to look at em is lowes, and they only have one type of 8' treated 4x4 to choose from. They have them in the lumber section as well as the fence section. They are the exact same price, so i assume they r the same 4x4s. The only other thing they have that r 8' r landscape tembers.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Below ground should be treated to .40

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
No i didnt know. The only place i have around here to look at em is lowes, and they only have one type of 8' treated 4x4 to choose from. They have them in the lumber section as well as the fence section. They are the exact same price, so i assume they r the same 4x4s. The only other thing they have that r 8' r landscape tembers.

The tag with the sku# on it should say if it is for above ground or below ground usage.

shakey gizzard

If possible, use one of these with a concrete pad! If not, tar and wrap in plastic to an inch above grade. The "New" PT is nothing like the old!

Attachments

• images[4].jpg
    images[4].jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 594
Ok thanks. If i can find the below ground grade, how long can i expect them to last?

Supposedly 20-30 years depending on who is doing it. I have some that barely made half that. Either PT was weak, or termites are getting better.

You can extend the life by putting a shovel .full of gravel in the bottom of the hole to let water drain away.

I learned that there are "ag treatments" that are heavy but you won't find them at the big boxes.
c
I don't know for a fact, but I wonder if soil conditions in Georgia (highly acidic) affect longevity?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Supposedly 20-30 years depending on who is doing it. I have some that barely made half that. Either PT was weak, or termites are getting better.

You can extend the life by putting a shovel .full of gravel in the bottom of the hole to let water drain away.

I learned that there are "ag treatments" that are heavy but you won't find them at the big boxes.
c
I don't know for a fact, but I wonder if soil conditions in Georgia (highly acidic) affect longevity?

I think the quality of lumber has a lot to do with it. Trees growing to fast, makes them weak.

Below ground should be treated to .40

Exactly Right On The .40 !

And-don't use landscape timbers-not if you want them to hang around for a few years. Do use the .40 and if you cut the end off of it for some reason-not a bad idea to treat the cut end with something. I have seen termites - not often-but occasionally-eat up a treated 4 x4.

tv_racin_fan

Gravel under the post is the correct method when putting a post IN the ground.

Jim Baker

Staff member

Here is some info to help. Go to a good lumber yard.

http://www.awpa.com/references/homeowner.asp

What do the AWPA Use Category designations mean?
The Use Categories are a shorthand method of describing the various hazards to which wood products may be exposed. A brief description of the Use Categories is shown, but if you would like additional details on the AWPA Use Category System, please download this excerpt from AWPA Standard U1.

Use Category Brief Description
UC1 Interior Dry
UC2 Interior Damp
UC3A Exterior Above Ground, Coated with Rapid Water Runoff
UC3B Exterior Above Ground, Uncoated or Poor Water Runoff
UC4A Ground Contact, General Use
UC4B Ground Contact, Heavy Duty
UC4C Ground Contact, Extreme Duty
UC5A Marine Use, Northern Waters (Salt or Brackish Water)
UC5B Marine Use, Central Waters (Salt or Brackish Water)
UC5C Marine Use, Southern Waters (Salt or Brackish Water)
UCFA Interior Above Ground Fire Protection
UCFB Exterior Above Ground Fire Protection

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
These will be put about 3' into the ground. They r treated, but i know that even treated posts dont last all that long under ground.

Order your posts from a place that treats them.

I would suggest ordering CCA treatment that is rated for UC4C Ground Contact Extreme Duty. That is what I ordered for my pole barn posts.

Some light reading: http://www.awpa.com/standards/U1excerpt.pdf

These are CCA treated and have a 30 year warranty: http://www.greatsouthernwood.com/products/farm-ranch