what's it worth?

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I have an '06 Chev. quad cab 4x4 that I'm either gonna sell out right or trade in. It's loaded with leather and all the goodies and currently has 551,000 miles on it (yes really). The motor that's in it has roughly 170K on it. It's my daily driver and other than what I would call average wear it's in really good condition. I wouldn't have any idea what to ask for it- what say you?

rjcruiser

Holy waffle irons batman...that's a gazillion miles. Honestly, the local dealership pribably won't give you more than a grand for it. Might give you more if you're buying a new truck at msrp.

On the street, probably $3-$5k. So many variables though with a truck and that kind of mileage.

Deer Fanatic

Have you tried KBB? That could probably give you a good starting point.

I ran it through KBB a fee weeks ago and it spit out what I thought was an absurd number- nearly 12K! Don't get me wrong I would love to get that for it but don't see that happening.

Deer Fanatic

What motor? And all the running gear is good?

It has the 5.3- it's a GM factory rebuild- no issues at all. Tranny shifts fine- it was replaced at 99K with a new one. She has been good to me for sure, I still get 20 MPG on most days. I rack up the miles quick typically 1200-1300 miles a week.

It has the 5.3- it's a GM factory rebuild- no issues at all. Tranny shifts fine- it was replaced at 99K with a new one. She has been good to me for sure, I still get 20 MPG on most days. I rack up the miles quick typically 1200-1300 miles a week.

So you have a transmission that's driven hard every week, with over 400,000 miles on it?

And a replaced engine that most people would consider high mileage. I'm taking it that the motor is now out of warranty.

And it's a 4 X 4 so who knows what's going to happen to all that (ask me how I know about that).

To be honest, I don't know what to tell, you. Not be snarky, I personally wouldn't touch it for any money, at least nothing beyond scrap. Just too much potential for the bottom falling out the day after it's purchased.

If you can get an offer in 4 figures, I would take it and laugh all the way to the bank.

smokey30725

20 mpg with the 5.3? Man, that's good. I can't ever get more than 16 mpg out of mine even with freeway driving. Mine's a 2000 Z71 extra cab with a new transmission and 195k on the motor. If I had the spare cash, I would snatch yours up for around $1500 to $2000 depending on condition. For what it's worth, I ran the KBB value on mine a while back and even in what they grade as "fair" condition (mine has some rust from being a yankee truck) it still came out in the $6500 range.

Deer Fanatic

I appreciate the replies. I would like to say that while I do drive foe a living, I don't drive hard. Most trips are not interstate and I typically run around 60 MPH when driving between stops. I take good care of my truck because it's how I make my living. I snapped a pic of the miles pee gallon just now on a trip from Ashburn to Eufaula. I'm not kidling about the gas mileage.

Attachments

• img20150118_192433.jpg
    img20150118_192433.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 994

Deer Fanatic

Sorry wrong pic- here is the right one

Attachments

• img20150326_075234.jpg
    img20150326_075234.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 1,039

rjcruiser

That is too cool. 500k is insane. Seriously, I think you might find more money from a dealership wanting to showcase a truck with that many miles in their dealership....but then again, maybe not.

And I wasn't trying to bash the truck either with a low ball value of $3-5k....but with that mileage, everything has to be brought into question. Engine (even though it only has 170k on it), transmission, transfer case, power steering, brakes, ball joints, suspension, axles. Everything.

That's why I put the value where I did. But...then again, a mechanic (or person familiar with those vehicles) that is looking for a later model with high mileage might not be scared of it knowing that he/she can fix anything that needs to be fixed.

Most I've ever seen on a Chevy was 225kish that my bro in law had. Was a mid 90s extended cab Z71 that didn't go into reverse anymore. Everything else was great on the truck...think he sold it about 10 years ago for around $2500.

Just hard to know with that type of mileage.

Havana Dude

Your truck is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Without seeing the truck( appearance is everything) , if it cranks, drives good, good tires, no smoke,4x4 works good, no dents, doesn't have 100 little things that need fixing, it's worth about 4 grand. Take a hundred bucks off for every little thing that needs fixing, and you'll be close. I wouldn't pay that for it, but somebody will. No offense, just my opinion.

Keep in mind, KBB is simply a guide. The used truck market is outrageous these days. Go look at the price of your exact truck brand new, and you will see why used trucks are in high demand. If your goal is to just get rid of it, and get what you can, price it well below KBB, and it will fly away. If you want max bucks out of it, price it high and sit on it till it sells. Another good place to research is Craigslist. Look to see what other trucks like yours are being priced at.

smokey30725

What grade gas do you run in yours? I just had all the plugs, wires, and fuel filter changed out. The only other thing I know that is coming due soon is the coil packs. Wonder if that will boost my mileage? I drive 90 miles plus a day and most of it is interstate and I stay around 75 mph. I have michelin all-terrain tires on it.

joey1919

shoot! if it still runs and drives good I'd just keep it. run it to a million miles. repairs are cheaper than payments.

a buddy of mine has my old truck, last time I drove it, about a year and a half ago, it had well over 300k on it. original motor, new transmission. still drives and rides pretty good considering.

the 5.3 is a great motor.

T-N-T

If it were me. I'd keep it. No one is going to give you what it is worth as a reliable truck. They are going to look at one thing only. 500k
BUT, you never know when someone will throw out several grand for it.

dieselengine9

Don't undervalue it. You could always start high and come down off the price. I'd start at $5000 to give you room to knock off the price when someone wants to talk you down. For everyone that would look at 500,000 miles and walk away there will be someone out there that wants a reliable 4wd truck but doesn't have the money to put in a later model.

j_seph

Have you contacted GM and told them you have a truck with half a million miles? They might, like someone said want it for publicity and make ya a good offer.

smokey30725

Have you contacted GM and told them you have a truck with half a million miles? They might, like someone said want it for publicity and make ya a good offer.

I had a friend who was a semi-pro bass fisherman and had one of the S10 Blazers that he pulled his bass boat with. He racked up over 500,000 miles over several years and GM did buy it back from him and made him a good deal on a new tow rig. they displayed it in a showroom for a while. he just did standard maintenance on it and it still looked really nice on the inside and outside.

Havana Dude

I doubt Chevrolet will want to brag about a truck that had to have a new tranny at 99k, and a new motor.