Why are we judging?

Jody Hawk

Me and Rhonda got on this conversation last night when we went out to eat. Why is it that when a Christian trys to show someone how they are wrong, even when it is printed in scripture, we are judging. Anytime you tell someone something that they don't want to hear, we are judging them. So if I see someone that is obviously not living his/her life right, I am to stay out of it or else I'm judging? Just curious how y'all feel. :huh:

Last edited:

reylamb

The question is not really why we are judging, but what we are judging. We have NT guidance, outlines, and commands on what to judge and when to judge it.

For example. Let's say you know of a Christian brother that is having an extra-marital affair. Some would say you should not judge him and worry about yourself. The Bible outlines in Matthew exactly what steps you are to take to go to that brother and confront him. First you go to him alone, then you take a deacon or other witness, then you take him before the church.

The purpose of this judging is not to set yourself up above them, or show how great and perfect you and I are, but to restore that brother in the fellowship of the church.

There is much more on the subject, but that is the basic idea of it all.

Phil

In my opinion, its not your/our place to decide who is wrong or who is living their life wrong.

Remember, judge not lest thee be judged.

Why is it that when a Christian trys to show someone how they are wrong, even when it is printed in scripture, we are judging.

I believe that you have answered your own question. I don't think it is the Christian's role to show "someone how they are wrong".

I firmly take to heart the admonition "judge not, lest you be judged."

If the Bible is the infallible word of God, then you can educate the sinner about its meaning. Even then, its not "you" telling them they are wrong, it is "you" hoping they will see the message of eternal salvation in the Bible.

I'm firmly convinced that at that final judgment day, we have all we can do to account for what we have done, without having to account for failing to show others where they are wrong.

Anytime someone wants to use scripture to prove that I'm wrong, I'm reminded,

"Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye; and, behold, a beam [is] in thine own eye?"

Double Barrel BB

Here we go again.......

Don't judge anyone.... keep what you know to yourself...... <----being sarcastic....

In the scenerio above, the wife of that man(I dare to call him that) should know what is going on, esspecailly after the man has been confronted about what he has been doing, and told itis wrong and that he should confess his sin, and repent.

Maybe people should read Matthew 7:1 in context.....

DB BB

PWalls

I have an accountability group (5 of us guys). We hold each other accountable to Scripture and mature together accordingly. I want one of them to correct me when I am wrong. I will do the same. I also hope that my brother points out the plank in my eye when I go show him the splinter in his.

People take that whole "judge not lest ye be judged" Scripture out of context. We are instructed by Scripture not to judge someone's worth or value or salvation. We are to use Scripture to "judge" someone's actions and beliefs and then use Scripture to show them the right way. All to be done in love.

To sit at home and not confront a brother who is sinning does nothing more than populate this world with weak and ineffective Christians.

Huntervationist

The lesson I take from the scripture over the log in my own eye...is how can i with the magnitude of my sin, see clearly the small sin that is yours?

Randy

The lesson I take from the scripture over the log in my own eye...is how can i with the magnitude of my sin, see clearly the small sin that is yours?

Exactly. That is the problem with most anybody judging anybody else. You can not tell somebody they are wrong unless you are right. Few of us are. Look at it like this. If indeed it is up to you to tell somebody they are wrong then why doesn't the Pastor just stand up in front of the church and point out each person's faults and quote scripture as to why.

Another issue with this is how you tell a person he is wrong or doing wrong. Unless you are "not guilty" that person will step back and say "look at the pot calling the kettle black." If you want to tell a friend he is wrong then do it on a personal level undertanding that you had better be leading by example. I heard a very wise pastor once say that he did not want to be "friends" with anybody because then that person would see the sins of that Pastor and then that person would step back and say "look at the pot calling the kettle black." Yes the scriptures give us guidance about judging others. But most of us do not fall within those limits.

PWalls

Exactly. That is the problem with most anybody judging anybody else. You can not tell somebody they are wrong unless you are right. Few of us are. Look at it like this. If indeed it is up to you to tell somebody they are wrong then why doesn't the Pastor just stand up in front of the church and point out each person's faults and quote scripture as to why.

Another issue with this is how you tell a person he is wrong or doing wrong. Unless you are "not guilty" that person will step back and say "look at the pot calling the kettle black." If you want to tell a friend he is wrong then do it on a personal level undertanding that you had better be leading by example. I heard a very wise pastor once say that he did not want to be "friends" with anybody because then that person would see the sins of that Pastor and then that person would step back and say "look at the pot calling the kettle black." Yes the scriptures give us guidance about judging others. But most of us do not fall within those limits.

Disagree.

Following the above example, no one would try and correct anyone. No one but Jesus Christ was perfect. Everyone else is a sinner. Period.

If I see a blatant sin in a brother, then I will lovingly tell him of it. If he calls me out on a sin that he sees in me, then GREAT. We both just learned something and can try and fix it and move forward. It is called a family of believers helping each other out. It is up to each of us to accept criticism of our sin and to give criticism in a loving and Christian manner. Not just sit back out of fear of being called out on our own sin and watch a brother fall further into his own sin. Where is the love in that?

Randy's discourse above is a perfect example of how we all live in our own sin without help from anyone or correction from anyone. And, Satan is just loving it. Makes for weak and standalone Christians.

Randy

Actaully Pwalls I think the way you have discussed doing it is a great way. Having friends to help you out. But running around telling a complete stranger he is wrong does not sit well if he can see your faults to. It becomes "the calling the kettle black thing."

Double Barrel BB

But running around telling a complete stranger he is wrong does not sit well if he can see your faults to. It becomes "the calling the kettle black thing."

I think what you are talking about is Gossip and yes that is wrong......No one should ever talk behind anyones back.....

DB BB

Randy

No I am talking about judging. It does not sit well with most people especially most non-christians if a christian tells them why they are wrong and then that christian is full of sin as well.

Double Barrel BB

No I am talking about judging. It does not sit well with most people especially most non-christians if a christian tells them why they are wrong and then that christian is full of sin as well.

If we Judge according to The Bible, tell me how we could be wrong for judging?

DB BB

SBG

:banginghe

Lead Poison

If we Judge according to The Bible, tell me how we could be wrong for judging?

DB BB

I agree. We are not "judging" another person by pointing out sin in their life at all! We're actually trying to bring them into God's will. And that is what we all of us should be doing for each other.

None of us-even Pastors, are perfect. If we keep our mouths shut and don't help one another because "we" aren't perfect and without sin, we are actually are doing what Satan wants us to do! God wants us to point out sin....this is not "judging".

PWalls

I agree. We are not "judging" another person by pointing out sin in their life at all! We're actually trying to bring them into God's will. And that is what we all of us should be doing for each other.

None of us-even Pastors, are perfect. If we keep our mouths shut and don't help one another because "we" aren't perfect and without sin, we are actually are doing what Satan wants us to do! God wants us to point out sin....this is not "judging".

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto. Nail has been hit on the head and driven deep.

Randy

It is not in the fact that we point it out, it is how we do it.

P

pfharris1965

The purpose of this judging is not to set yourself up above them, or show how great and perfect you and I are, but to restore that brother in the fellowship of the church.

Definitely an opinion that will not be accepted by at least 3 to 5 folks on here I could name but will not...:rofl:...

but is the fellowship in the church more important than his relationship with his kids if he has any???? By being self-righteous and bringing this individual before the church...what message do you send to his kids (you know they will hear of it)? Ruin him and take away everything that he has with them...why would they need to be involved in it? better yet...WHAT BUSINESS is it of the church's anyway?...we want the government out of our bedrooms...well...the church should remain out of them as well...(this scenario is no different than other threads on here that have discussed how CHURCHES have shunned people or kicked them out for being divorced...:rolleyes: )...

I want no part of a church (made of humans) that wants to be that much into my life...

SE.GAcoondawg

better yet...WHAT BUSINESS is it of the church's anyway?...

I want no part of a church (made of humans) that wants to be that much into my life...

His membership in the church makes it their business. He is a direct reflection of that church, and that church will be held accountable by some people for his actions. I can't tell you how many times when trying to share the gospel with someone, I've heard "doesn't so and so go to church there....." Thereby killing the spirit of the conversation and any chance of sharing the gospel.

The way you refer to church as "made of humans" maybe somebody in a church hurt you and now you hold all churches accountable for that persons actions. I'm not saying that is what happened to you but hopefully you can see where it could happen to others. There are plenty of good churches out there.

Huntervationist

Where is the line between, loving INSTRUCTION, and judgement ? for me, I must feel the Holy Spirit's conviction to instruct another, be he a christian, or lost. I am careful here as I would not be the stumbling block to a sheep seeking the fold.