Snake ID Question . . .

law dawg

So, what kind is this? I was told it was around 3 feet long. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_1389 (00834132).jpg
    IMG_1389 (00834132).jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 979

660griz

I can't see the pupils, pits or belly, based on the diameter ratio between body and tail, I would say water snake since they can have a diamond head.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
It`s a gray rat snake. Down here we call em an oak snake, some call em a white oak runner.

Non venomous.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Rat snake, as Nic said. Our adults up here in the mountains are black, but the young ones look like that. Through most of Georgia, the adults never lose that spotted color phase. Also the most common snake that will go into your house.

Anvil Head

Feed him and keep him around. Probably tracking scent when he entered the house....usually means his kind of food is available, inside. Sounds like you have other visitors as well, the more destructive kind that have fleas.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Here's the baby version. Found it at a church the other day. Oak snake in these parts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 611

bulldawgborn

Interesting colored oak snake. I thought it might have been a brown phased corn snake, but if anybody knows for sure it ought to be Nic. My first pet was a corn snake. My aunt later took to raising them, and by the time she stopped she had all sorts of different color phases. Can't say any were exactly that color but I have seen and caught some wild ones in middle Georgia that were almost that dark...but still red.