track skidsteer

tree cutter 08

What brand would you buy if you were buying a new track machine? I've ran them all but not long enough to make my mind up. Getting tired of my wheel loader.

1gr8bldr

What brand would you buy if you were buying a new track machine? I've ran them all but not long enough to make my mind up. Getting tired of my wheel loader.
The tracks are superior in traction, flotation and resale, but what many don't realize is that they "beat you up" as termed by a friend who runs several versions 70 hrs a week. This will surprise most people, but it is true. You may know this already, I do, and for my needs, I still wish I had a track machine, but for those doubting what I am claiming, I will explain with an example, and this is an extreme example but you can apply the thought to as little as a baseball. Imagine a peak, say 20% incline that peaks. The track machine would climb the 20% to half way and then pivot with the front falling back over twice the incline before it hits. Not a usual circumstance, but the best way to help you see. Now climb that same 20% with a wheel unit and it simply rolls over it with no jar what so ever. The same thing, just to a much lesser degree happens with a baseball size rock on hard ground. Yes, In soft dirt, this same rock should push into the ground, but the physics of it, I think you can see. My friend whom's company runs 5 units 70 hrs per week, trade in their wheel units at 4000 hrs. The track units at 2000 hrs because they claim they are wore out at all the joints

Last edited:

1gr8bldr

I have ran the single joystick Cat before and did not like it. I often push with the side of the bucket.... pushing dirt up in a corner, or spreading dirt up against a foundation left and right. A sort of twisting. I found that the single joystick for whatever reason was not able to do this without forward motion.

tree cutter 08

No doubt they have there pros and cons. 70 hrs a week on anything is rough! Be using some for dirt but mostly in the woods for tree work, and clearing.

skiff23

I have run them all. My favorite is a 300 bobcat. My second was the ASV I can see a little bit better in the bobcat. My .02.

1gr8bldr

Some don't like foot controls, maybe it is because you like what you get used to, but I like the bobcat controls best

1gr8bldr

No doubt they have there pros and cons. 70 hrs a week on anything is rough! Be using some for dirt but mostly in the woods for tree work, and clearing.
The tracks will give you so much more pushing traction. With the tires, you spin alot and don't realize how much. When I use my stump bucket on a big stump, even though I am prying out a stump like a hammer claw, my tires dig holes and tear the ground up. I suspect that with tracks that I would get the pressure needed without spinning.

If you ever spent any amount of time on one you will know the wheel ones will far beat you to death over a track one there is no comparison there. I hate bobcat controls. I like the cat set up much better . I believe. That is mainly preference and what your use to. From running excavators dozers backhoes front end loaders everything from a d-9 to a d-3 cat up to a 345 cat trackhoe. There isn't anyway to compare a wheel versus a track machine. As far as brand Takeuchi or However you spell that correctly makes a nice machine for the money cat is good also. Me personally I wouldn't own anything with bobcat on it but that's just my opinion

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
I've operated most of them for tons of hours. Hands down, for $ per hour of operation the Takeuchi is / was my favorite, that is until I ran a knew Kubota for about a week earlier this month. I'd give both of them a strong look, compare what the $ per hour of operation will be (ie, fuel use, part wear, service costs, parts costs, etc. ) All others are just piles of steel that will do the job, but cost you potentially a lot more than you'll make in the long run.

modern_yeoman

Takeuchi would be my choice.. very stable machine. Can't back this up with stats but seems to get better fuel consumption also. The tracks seem to be a bit over powered though

jiminbogart

TCU Go Frawgs !
Some don't like foot controls, maybe it is because you like what you get used to, but I like the bobcat controls best

My T250 has foot controls. They kill my knees.

My next machine will have joystick controls.

tree cutter 08

Yea my new holland has hand and feet controls. Gets rough on your knees after a few hours. Joysticks are the way to go. Takeuchi 130s I've ran seem a little less stable going up steep ground without some weight in the bucket. Especially if all you have is forks on. 140s and bigger may be better.

bruiserbuckgrower

I have a positrak it's great when it's 100% which is a rarety, had bad experiences with their warranty claims or greensouth was double dipping but I'll never know. If I had to do it again it would be a bobcat, it's what made them famous and from what I hear service is top notch. Also like the cats. Look at hydraulic flow and ease of servicing. Also ones made in the south, their made for heat, my asv will get hot pushing a davco head quick.

I have a positrak it's great when it's 100% which is a rarety, had bad experiences with their warranty claims or greensouth was double dipping but I'll never know. If I had to do it again it would be a bobcat, it's what made them famous and from what I hear service is top notch. Also like the cats. Look at hydraulic flow and ease of servicing. Also ones made in the south, their made for heat, my asv will get hot pushing a davco head quick.

There all hard to work on you outta try and work on a bobcat it isn't any easier. I worked for a rental company alittle while ago I can tell you the bobcats we had where in the shop more than any other one they had lol.

there all hard to work on. I worked for a rental company awhile back the bobcats they had where in the shop more than any other brand they had. I have operated about every brand they make. There all a pain in the rear to work on. It's really about doing proper maintenance . In my opinion the cat Takeuchi where the better to me . I'm sure others will have different opinions that's just what my experiences with these type of machines told me

molon labe

Look at what the big rental companies are using such as united rentals, Hertz equipment, Sunbelt rentals etc..These companies cant afford downtime that comes with the lesser quality equipment.

Look at what the big rental companies are using such as united rentals, Hertz equipment, Sunbelt rentals etc..These companies cant afford downtime that comes with the lesser quality equipment.

While that makes sense in theory it isn't why they run a certain brand. Normally they run certain brands due to buying discounts and kick backs or sales incentives. Some even lease them and turn them over every 3 years...

1gr8bldr

Have you considered adding aftermarket tracks to your machine? That is what I will do the next time I need more traction. I have a wet area that would make a great food plot. I keep waiting for a drought so I can get in there and dig some ditches. I will likely need tracks for this project

tree cutter 08

I have thought about it but that's something I've never run was a wheel loader with tracks. Got a lead on a set for 500 bucks that will fit mine if there still available. Do they make that big of difference? That new skid steer money cold go to a excavator!