LM and spotted bass patterns?...

Alan in GA

I'm dusting off my two old fly rods, an 8.5' 8 weight and a 7' 5wt.
Last used streamers for bass as they seemed more productive than poppers.
I've seen some nice hair frog and mouse flys in local shops.
What's working for you?

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
But if you want to catch LM or spots on top, I'd suggest a Bubblehead in silver and black, fished early or late around any bank irregularity or cover.

Anvil Head

I do quite well with a thumb sized Green froggy popper trimmed with yellow feathers. Fish the same way as Injun Joe (how you doing my friend?) Guess I'm old school, but worked when I was a kid and still does. More of a confidence game than anything else. Noting like watching one fall into a hole in the water and come out splashing.

injun joe

Gone But Not Forgotten
I'm good, thank you Anvil . And I agree. After you hear the sound of someone throwing a concrete block in the water, set the hook.

Alan in GA

Do you guys find deer hair frogs and mice better, or cork body popper lures?
Seems like a heavier rod weight [8wt or heavier] and hair frogs/mice would be great for a lake with aquatic weeds around the edge!

Anvil Head

Used to use a "few hairs" way back, just seemed a bit sluggish to me, plus my dear old Dad tied a mean cork froggy back in the day. I still have a couple of his (don't use them, just momentos now). Have always used my Croix #8 if targeting bass, stripers or reds, like the little extra backbone in heavy structured water. Grass can be a buggar on lighter rods and tippets.