Tune-up/Refurbish old bow or buy a used newer one?

bulldawgborn

I've been out of bowhunting for quite some time, butthis year I should have enough time to get back into it. Of my 3 bows, I would only consider hunting with 2 of them. My prime candidate is an old PSE (not sure what model or how hold) that I inherited from my Uncle a while back. This bow means alot to me and I would love to kill a deer with it.

My question is: Would I be better off money-wise finding a good used bow for $300-400 or should I be able to update my uncle's bow for less than that? The string and sights look to be in good shape, but it has likely been over 10 years since the bow was shot...my unlce died 12 years ago.

I haven't talked to any archery shops yet to determine what all would need to be done to get it set up for me, but I have seen some bows for sale on the Marketplace that look to be ready to hunt in that price range.

What would yall do?

GregoryB.

You said that you would love to kill a deer with your Uncles bow so do it !!!!!! Get a new string and shoot it if it fits you. Then if you want a newer bow shop around and take your time to find a bow that you like at a great deal.

Apex Predator

Some of the older bows are great and make great hunting weapons. There is no reason not to hunt with it, even though newer bows with parallel limbs are quieter and have less recoil.

Hunter922

If you wait you should be able to get a newer bow in January or February that may be in your price range. You can get some great deals after the season on Archerytalk or at your local shop. We have for the last two years.:fine:

muzzy17is

Depending on how old that PSE is and what model, if it has the plastic cams like the old Nova's I would do much more than a string and some cheap sight set ups, kill you a deer for sentimental purposes then hang the bow on the wall for a conversation piece. I have a PSE Nova like I'm speaking of and myself and my brother both took our first bow kill's with it. I will never leave my possession. For around $350.00 you can go to any shop after hunting season and find a jam up deal and get it set up just for you.