Copper Pipe Napkin Rings! NEW PICS OF SET OF TEN (10/28/15)

Gobbler Down

Copper pipe...repurposed!
Now are copper napkin rings...

10 Napkin rings...ready for some vittles!!!!!
Each ring incorporates three separate designs, the crazy-spacey- whacky-Timothy Leary inspired design- covers half of the ring. The straight lines with craters the other half. Essentially there are three design patterns you can use when displaying them. Once picked up...it's anybody's call!

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 633
  • P1040994.jpg
    P1040994.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 664
  • P1050046.jpg
    P1050046.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 420
  • P1050048.jpg
    P1050048.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 486
  • P1050049.jpg
    P1050049.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 441
  • P1050052.jpg
    P1050052.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 436
  • P1050051.jpg
    P1050051.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:

walkinboss01

Pretty cool!! Nice work

Dr. Strangelove

Nice!

T-N-T

That's what I like about you Jim, repurposeing random things into beauty.

Nice.

Gobbler Down

Thank you gentlemen!

Anvil Head

Nice.
Yeah, never throw copper out. Most metals can be recycled "at home".
Used Cu pipe for just about everything else, just never thought of napkin rings (maybe 'cause I wear sleeved shirts and blue jeans all the time and don't need no stinkin' napkin).

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
Look great.

karen936

Head Researcher, McDurdellson Enterprises, Inc.
beautiful work

RNC

Very nice !

Gobbler Down

Updated pics

Here's a set ready to get down to business!

IFLY4U

Those are very nice.

georgiaboy

These are awesome. Any chance you'll share your etching secret?

Completely understand if it's confidential.

Gobbler Down

In the immortal words of the Cowardly Lion..." Shucks folks I'm speechless!"

While I may not mention it when I should...I'm always humbled by your extremely kind words.

As for my secret.....it's no secret!

Try using any of the fingernail polishes or Krylon paints that work on all materials. Clean your metal with acetone, make sure you wear rubber or nitrile gloves. Don't leave fingerprints..... They will show up on your project.

Use a bamboo skewer or popsicle stick to spatter or "draw" your design on your project. Allow it to totally dry.

Depending on the metal you use...you will have to experiment with times. I have a chart of the metals and times I have used in the past for specific projects. When etching someone's $1100 tactical folder.....gotta be on your game!

Start with a 60% white vinegar and 40% ferric chloride etching solution. You can order the etchant from Amazon or purchase it at most Radio Shack locations.

Place your project in a plastic container of an appropriate size that allows you to use the minimum amount of etchant and still cover your piece.

The etchant can be reused many times over!

Start with 30 minutes and work your way up in 5 minute intervals from there until the depth you want is reached. You will have to sacrifice several pieces of scrap to get to the desired times. Don't reuse the same test piece....start over each time.

Pull your project, rinse with water or windex. Clean the polish or paint from the project with acetone.

Polish with 0000-00000 steel wool or a buffer.

This is broken down to its most simplistic form so please use your experience as a catalyst for success.

VOILA'

Gobbler Down

bg7m

Jim, the test piece of copper you etched for me has been riding in my pocket with my keys for about 3-4 weeks and the finish is actually looking better with the slight change in color. I thought it would get scratched up a lot, but I can't see any scratches at all.
I hope to start on a folder soon with copper onlays and maybe I can get you to etch them.
Buddy

Attachments

• COPPERETCH.jpg
    COPPERETCH.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 362

Miguel Cervantes

Jedi Master
In the immortal words of the Cowardly Lion..." Shucks folks I'm speechless!"

While I may not mention it when I should...I'm always humbled by your extremely kind words.

As for my secret.....it's no secret!

Try using any of the fingernail polishes or Krylon paints that work on all materials. Clean your metal with acetone, make sure you wear rubber or nitrile gloves. Don't leave fingerprints..... They will show up on your project.

Use a bamboo skewer or popsicle stick to spatter or "draw" your design on your project. Allow it to totally dry.

Depending on the metal you use...you will have to experiment with times. I have a chart of the metals and times I have used in the past for specific projects. When etching someone's $1100 tactical folder.....gotta be on your game!

Start with a 60% white vinegar and 40% ferric chloride etching solution. You can order the etchant from Amazon or purchase it at most Radio Shack locations.

Place your project in a plastic container of an appropriate size that allows you to use the minimum amount of etchant and still cover your piece.

The etchant can be reused many times over!

Start with 30 minutes and work your way up in 5 minute intervals from there until the depth you want is reached. You will have to sacrifice several pieces of scrap to get to the desired times. Don't reuse the same test piece....start over each time.

Pull your project, rinse with water or windex. Clean the polish or paint from the project with acetone.

Polish with 0000-00000 steel wool or a buffer.

This is broken down to its most simplistic form so please use your experience as a catalyst for success.

VOILA'
Great information. Thank you!

georgiaboy

Thanks! I've got the etchant already and happened to have some pipe. I may contour or scallop the edges and see how it turns out. Good idea on using skewers to draw designs.

I may play with a bleach splatter and some gun blue too and see if it's different than the vinegar and FeCl