Reworking a cleaver.

jigman29

I have an old clever that was my grannies and no telling who had it before her. The handles are broken and beyond repair. I am going to redo it and was wondering if I should take it back to the bare metal or leave it be? It has a lot of rust and as far as value it doesnt matter as I will never be selling it. Just trying to figure my best course of action. Thanks

John I. Shore

Hard to judge without seeing it, but sounds like it would be best to take it to bare metal, I'll surface grind it for ya if you want, that way it will be flat on the flats and remove all the pits and have a nice clean piece of steel to work with. Shoot me a pm if you want.

John I.

jigman29

Hard to judge without seeing it, but sounds like it would be best to take it to bare metal, I'll surface grind it for ya if you want, that way it will be flat on the flats and remove all the pits and have a nice clean piece of steel to work with. Shoot me a pm if you want.

John I.

Thats what makes this site great. People willing to help each other. I have access to a couple of surface grinders at work so I should be able to handle it. Thanks for the offer.

georgiaboy

The cleavers I have are almost full height convex so it may be tough to surface grind? If yours are too and someone has a good conveying attachment for a grinder it might work? You may also be able to clean with a wire or scotchbrite wheel on a bench grinder. Just some ideas.

I'd love to see before/after if you think to post.