bird ID 101

bilgerat

Senior
what the heck is this bird??Ive been on and around lake lanier for over 20 years and I aint never seen one of these, its all black with a short yellow beak>sorry the pic quality is kinda poor I had to zoom all the way

UWGduck

Not sure if this is a baited question but i'll bite if it is. that is a highly elusive game bird called a COOT. They are the dumbest bird in the world

bilgerat

Senior
yea it mighta had a little white on its face , he was 40 yds away so it was hard to tell, and he did look kinda dumb.I just aint seen one around lanier before.

Dep6

If the beak was yellowish then I would say it is a gallinule, not a coot. That is the only difference I see between a coot and a gallinule is the color of the beak. Body and feet pretty much shaped the same.

F250

Banned
Common Moorhen maybe!! Black head and Neck, with small reddish-brown forehead shield, whitish bill with dark band near tip. They don't have webbed feet!!

bilgerat

Senior
naw no flight ,it just sat on that log and looked dumb,
small yellow beak for sure, web feet for sure, white on its head no, short tail feathers for sure.

F250

Banned
Field Guide to the Birds of North America has it as a Common Moorhen!! No webb feet!! last Pic.

Last edited:

jay sullivent

a coot does not have a yellow beak. i have seen them by the thousands at clarks hill but have never seen on standing on a log. not a good enough pic for positive ID

jay sullivent

has to be a coot. he must be mistaken about the yellow beak. still never seen one stand on a log!!!

Last edited:

beginnersluck

It's a siamese black bird

attached at the feet! Didn't you know that?

Paddle

Coot's

I let my 9 year old son shoot some Coot's earlier in the season after we figured out what they where. I skinned them, cut them in to nuggets, battered them up with Cajun flour and fried them. They tasted like liver. If I liked liver they'd be pretty good. He was proud hunter that day!