What to do when he hangs up?

Ugahunter2013

We have all had this happen before. Just curious what other people do when a bird comes in hot only to hang up at 60 and continue to gobble his head off.

Mikec84

^^^this ^^^. I get silent for a while, then every now and then I'll softly, and I do mean SOFTLY throw in a few purrs, yelps, clucks, and scratch the leaves. About once every 15-20 min for the next hour or 2

UGATurkey

All the stuff above and then ::;

sman

Depends on how he hung up. Hung up from the get go. Not much you can do. If he is coming and hangs, then I go silent. Scratch leaves, try to wait him out.

Most of the time they make a strut zone and will go back and forth. Sometimes I like to track him and close the distance on the back side of the zone. When comes back to the front I'm in range. I usually move and don't call.

sman

Depends on how he hung up. Hung up from the get go. Not much you can do. If he is coming and hangs, then I go silent. Scratch leaves, try to wait him out.

Most of the time they make a strut zone and will go back and forth. Sometimes I like to track him and close the distance on the back side of the zone. When comes back to the front I'm in range. I usually move and don't call.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
We have all had this happen before. Just curious what other people do when a bird comes in hot only to hang up at 60 and continue to gobble his head off.

It happened to me last Saturday morning and again this Saturday morning. This Saturday morning he was in the clear at 70 yds. He strutted a while and then walked behind a stump and stayed there while his girl friends fed in the food plot 25 yards in front of me. All I could do was shut up and wait but it didn't happen.

Ugahunter2013

Im talking about if he is in plain sight. I would imagine gobbling at him would be difficult unless you did it with your mouth.

I had one hang up this weekend on me. I went silent and he eventually came close enough for me to shoot. However there was change in terrain that i think may habe been the reason he hung up. A slight drop in ground level from what looked to be a old creek bed. I have had a turkey skirt around this exact spot before. So maybe that was why he hung up, even though he hung up 15-20 yards before he got there. After 10 min of silence with just him gobbling he eventually came to edge of the drop off and i shot him there.