Killed my first turkey on 4-2-16

Yota87

Just going to say that I am by no means a writer nor claim to be. I'm just simply giving the story from my hunt as I remember it.

We arrived on the mountain at 6:30 Saturday morning heading into the area where I saw a Tom strutting through a field around 7:10 pm the evening before. We finally get back to the spot and get set up about 45 minutes before daylight. The sun is starting to rise and we begin to hear turkeys gobbling from three different locations. After about 30 minutes we slowly moved spots to get set up closer to a turkey who kept gobbling to every call.

We get situated in the new location and he's still responding to every call being made by Joey (my buddy Jasons 11 year nephew). After about 15 minutes of sitting here the turkey sounded like he was moving away from us. We get up and slowly make our way toward the direction we heard the gobbles come from.

After moving about 70 yards closer we sit down against a group of three trees and get set up. Joey gives some good yelps on his box call and the turkey immediately responds with a gobble probably 150 yards from us at the top of a ridge. Joey continues calling ever so often and the turkey responds every time. About 10 minutes goes by and he calls again and two turkeys answer with gobbles. At this point we think they're just staying on top of the ridge waiting on the "hen" to come to them. We get a plan together to back track from where we came and go to the other side of the ridge and try setting up to call them in. We're just about ready to move when I tell Joey to call softly one more time. He softly yelps on the box call and all we hear is a gobble probably 60 to 70 yards down the hill from us. We can finally see them and they are heading straight for us. What we thought was two turkeys turned out to be four.

My buddy Jason filmed the hunt after this moment happened. I killed my first turkey that morning called in by an 11 year old. All four of them were jakes. I would have preferred it to be a mature Tom but for my first bird I couldn't complain. This is my second year turkey hunting and I can honestly say I am hooked for life. I've got a lot to learn and after watching the video of myself I need to work on being very still :D

Attachments

• group.jpg
    group.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 594
  • me and joey.jpg
    me and joey.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 595
  • bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 599

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Local video's are so nail biting!!!!!!!! Professional huntin shows don't give me the hair raisin chills like local GON members on video.
I'm watchin the screen leanin to the side to try n see around the trees!!!! Great job, bird, and video!!!!

DSGB

Way to go! Nice footage and pics, too!

sowgabuckstalker

Local video's are so nail biting!!!!!!!! Professional huntin shows don't give me the hair raisin chills like local GON members on video.
I'm watchin the screen leanin to the side to try n see around the trees!!!! Great job, bird, and video!!!!

Nailed it. This vid is better than 99% of the videos posted on here, especially the "professional" one. Congrats on a first kill, what a blast!

Ihunt

Don't worry one bit about it being a Jake. Congrats on your bird.

dark horse

Keep that video and go back and watch it after 5 years of experience and you will be amazed. Somehow you did get away with a MASSIVE amount of movement.

Congrats and enjoy the upcoming roller coaster ride

chadf

Congrats!

It can be addictive......

Just try to keep guns at same barrel "length". I come to not enjoy "the shot over the shoulder", no how big the tree. Rings my ear.

Trust me, it's happened with all game. Just my $.02

sman

Congrats!

Yota87

Thanks guys. It was definitely an unforgettable experience. I still can't believe it actually happened and to have it on film makes it that much more special.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I've got a lot to learn and after watching the video of myself I need to work on being very still :D

Yeah, but you dropped him in his tracks so it's all good. Congrats on #1. You'll never forget this one.:cool:

nick_o_demus

Sure looked like a fun hunt. Wish I could find a camera man. Haha! Hoping you can get on ole tom now.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
Man you were making me nervous with all that moving around...lol..Congrats on your first bird.You're hooked now!!!