To decoy or not

Was your bird harvested using decoy(s) this spring?

• Yes

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • No

Votes: 49 62.8%

• Total voters

blong

I have seen a lot of dead pics and videos and it appears that about half use dekes. Just wondering who used them to kill their bird or not this spring.

01Foreman400

Staff member
4th season without them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't use them on my next hunt if I felt inclined. Just depends on how I feel.

Last edited:

1776Flintlock

Dave Smith Decoy Jake & Hen

Successful 3/29/16 in Johnson County

Tom i took was 13" beard

1 ½ " spurs

21#

nick_o_demus

I have never had success using decoys. Seems like a lot of people do. Think it depends on the birds.

Will-dawg

I haven't killed one yet but yes I had one out when my 8 year old killed his. AND I sometimes use one myself. It's just according to the situation

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I've been involved in 6 kills this season. One was with decoys in a pasture.
1 close call where decoys were in woods and hens were leading red head. Hens spooked at decoys in woods and left and the red head followed.

I think decoys work better in open fields/pasture. I believe they dont work for me in the woods. Thats just my opinions that have been created by witnessing these events over the years.

Good luck y'all!!!!!!!!

RLykens

I kill some with and some without a decoy just depends on the Bird. I don't think it's a sign of being an inferior hunter, cheating,for anything like that. Its simply another tool in my bag to be used. Good luck everybody! Go kill em with or with out a decoy!

turkeykirk

Don't believe it would make any difference for me this year. Can't find a gobbler even if he fell dead out of a tree in front of me.

PappyHoel

Been hunting for 15 years without killing one. Heck yes I will use a decoy, reap them or whatever I need to do within the law to get a bird. It may not be this year but one day.

critterslayer

Used the only hen I have once for a bowhunt without a blind, didn't kill one. Didn't use it to kill my other birds. I bought it, and have barely used it in the 4 years I've had it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
4th season without them. That doesn't mean I wouldn't use them on my next hunt if I felt inclined. Just depends on how I feel.

Same here. I'm inclined to believe it's better without one because the gobbler doesn't know where the hen is. I've used dekes in the past and experienced a hang more often than not because the gobbler is expecting the hen to come to him once in eyesight. Of course that could just be my bad luck kicking in.:bounce:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I'd rather use a cabbage patch doll than be seen with a decoy.

BERN

occasionally

I generally think this too. I have had a small number of times where I thought that the bird was expecting a hen and left because he didn't see one. I carry one but rarely use it.

Same here. I'm inclined to believe it's better without one because the gobbler doesn't know where the hen is. I've used dekes in the past and experienced a hang more often than not because the gobbler is expecting the hen to come to him once in eyesight. Of course that could just be my bad luck kicking in.:bounce:

1776Flintlock

I believe in Decoys especially with my bug Johnson County Tom I got last month.

I will try this when the season opens up here:

"All videos must be embedded"

Last edited by a moderator: