First solo turkey

sportsman94

Well it's been a long time coming. I've turkey hunted for several years off and on but never went more than a few times and never put all that much effort into it. I killed a Tom my first time out with my buddies dad calling for at the age of 10 or so and then last year killed a Jake while calling with a Buddy of mine.
So this morning my alarm clock goes off a couple times before I slowly open my eyes and roll out of bed. I'm dragging this morning knowing it's gonna be pretty cold outside and running on 4 hours of sleep. I drive to the 100 acre property that I will be hunting today and grab all my gear. I didn't forget my gun this time luckily! i started walking across the property when it's just barely light enough to see and spook several deer out of a food plot. I decide to set up on a trail between two food plots so I make it to my spot and set up my decoys and the waiting begins. As I settle and the woods begin to wake up I hear a barely audible gobble several hundred yards in front of me then all is quiet except for the song birds. Next the crows start going to town and I hear what sounded like a gobble that was a couple hundred yards away to my right. That bird keeps hammering every minute or two for awhile so I made some yelps and clucks and hoped for the best. After 15 or so minutes I let out a few more calls and had the crows start going insane in the direction of the turkey. I got quiet and got my gun up in case he was making his way towards me. About 5 minutes pass and the crows stop with the commotion and the bird was no longer gobbling. I waited another 5 minutes or so and let out another series of yelps and was answered shortly after by the same bird id been hearing. Then, a minute or so later, I heard another gobble that was much more clear and closer coming from the opposite direction. I let out a few soft purrs then could see a dark body moving through the woods about 100 yards away on the other side of one of the food plots. The body got about 20 yards closer and I could see him strutting. He gobbled again and that's when I realized he wasn't alone. He had two more gobblers with him. Well they hung up about 80 yards away so I started scratching the ground and gave a few soft purrs. After about 5 minutes of strutting where they were they started moving towards me. By this point my heart is beating out of my chest, I'm praying to God that I don't mess this up and that these birds work into my set up. They start coming in a line of 3 and I get my gun up. The last one blows up and struts for a few seconds at a time then runs to catch up with the others. Now they are within 30 yards and while my gun is up I don't have it to where I can get on them and shoot so I have to watch as they walk around my Jake decoy. I'm thinking they are going to try and bully it a little bit but instead they act like they are going to leave and get a little jumpy. I eased my gun up and leaned to my right to avoid the pine tree between me and the Turkey. The last one in the group takes a step from behind the decoy and it was lights out for him. I was ecstatic with the fact that a plan had finally come together for me in regards to solo turkey hunting.

This one had a 10.5 inch beard and 1 1/8 inch Spurs. Not sure how much it weighed but I couldn't be happier with my first solo bird

deast1988

Awesome congrats, great looking bird

UGATurkey

Great job, on a nice bird

nick_o_demus

Congrats! A beautiful bird! Sounds like you may have found a good spot. Try again in a week and see what happens.

critterslayer

Wow, sounds like an awesome hunt. Was it a pretty big surprise, or did you think you had a pretty good chance at getting one? Congrats

DSGB

Way to go!

sportsman94

Wow, sounds like an awesome hunt. Was it a pretty big surprise, or did you think you had a pretty good chance at getting one? Congrats

I knew I had a shot at getting one cause they show up at this property every year and the owner got the first gobbler on camera last week for the year. But being a smaller property and an inexperienced turkey hunter I just didn't want to get my hopes up like I have in years past. We've been seeing them in the fields around this property just not quite where we needed them

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Congrats on your first solo hunt bird. He's a fine one!