Finally got my first bird.

whitetaildoe85

http://forum.gon.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=871107&stc=1&d=1460065999

I've been trying a few times a season on different properties I've gotten permission to hunt on for 15 years with no success. Last year I joined a club and seen a few turkeys during deer season. Hoped and prayed they would stick around till march and they have. Opening day didnt hear a single bird and gave into the rain around 9. On my way back to the truck I almost walked up on a lone gobbler strutin and gobbling randomly. Backed out and did some calling but he never paid me any mind. Got back at it again this past weekend and set up well before first light sunday morning in the plot that he was strutting in. Hen and half strut jake out in front of me with the jake facing me at about 15 yards. I hid myself in a small patch of cedars. Birds starting chirping and the woods started to come alive but no turkeys talking yet i decided I'd try to get this started. First few yelps and a gobbler cuts me off down in the bottom in front of me. Cut and yelped a little more as the minutes went on every time he gobbled I could tell he was moving closer but it was starting to sound like he might be trying to move to my side so i shut up. Some where in all this trash talking I had heard one gobble behind me but it sounded far and I had kinda forgotten about him. I started to hear something over my left shoulder and as it got closer I knew it was one drumming. I was scared to move but finally I seen it walk up the strip beside me. A jake! but hes not alone his older friend is right behind him spitn and struting. He comes in and faces off with my jake decoy circles around and goes behind a tree and then puts his attention on the hen decoy and as soon as I seen his head come from behind the tree I pulled the trigger. Jumped up and started taking pics to send to my buddys before he stopped flopping. Never seen the gobbler on the other side. Hopefully he is still around saturday. 17lbs ...9.75" beard and 7/8 spurs.

Attachments

• pastedImage (1).jpg
    pastedImage (1).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 808
  • pastedImage (2).png
    pastedImage (2).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 738

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Excellent!!!! That tarnished shotgun shell looks like its been waiting a while to blast a gobbler!!! And it got a pretty one!!! congrats!!!

nick_o_demus

Dang fine bird! I'd measure that beard again. Looks longer than you say... Or maybe that the "story teller" in me. :type:

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Congratulations on #1. You earned him the hard way! Hope #2 is a lot easier for you.

OVERULD

Congrats! I just got my first on Saturday! I'm hooked now!

BJ