Saved?

ssmith

What would you say about a fellow who claims to be saved but can't tell when, or where, or what was going on when he supposedly got saved-answers given like I cant think of a time I didnt believe. I know I am because the bible says "by their fruits you shall know them".

ramsey

I cannot think of a time that I did not believe but remember well when I was saved. I was frog-giggin.
In God's time you or he will know the truth.

Lead Poison

In order to be saved and spend eternity in heaven a person MUST...

1. Recognize they are a sinner, lost in sin and eternally separated from God.

2. Personally ask Jesus to come into their heart and forgive them of their sins.

The moment a person sincerely asks this of Jesus, they are saved and the Holy Spirit enters their heart.

The person is not immediately made perfect, but will feel conviction of the Holy Spirit in their lives when they fall short of God's will (sin). Contrary to the world's expectations, Christians are not immediately made perfect after they ask Jesus to be their personal saviour and will still sin until the day they die.

However, as their faith and study of God's word grows, so will their ability to decern what is right and wrong. A person who does not know when they asked Christ to be their saviour probably isn't truly saved. Any person who claims to be a Christian, but has never personally asked Jesus to forgive them of their sins is lost.

Claiming to be a Christian means absolutely nothing! Asking Jesus to be your saviour and forgive you of your sins is the ONLY way to obtain salvation.

ssmith

Lead Poision, thats how I feel about it- if I was a pastor of a church, I would not hire a person without a clear testimony of salvation to work in a capacity as youth pastor or song leader.

FX Jenkins

I used to think that you had to have an "alter call" experience and pray a certain prayer, but now that I've grown to see the different ways God works in peoples lives, I've come to the inclination that a lot of folks come to "KNOW" Jesus Christ through individual circumstances and events, and salvation occurs when we become one with Christ, by the Holy Spirit, when we recognize our own sin, repent, and believe that Jesus died on the cross as the ultimate sacrafice for us, and that through the resurection, he defeated death, thus providing eternal life for those who are in Christ, to glorify God.

I believe its OK if you can't remember a specific moment that this transpired, and this is why God provided for us Baptism, not that it is a prerequisite for salvation but that it is a point in time that we can publically testify and declare our faith, that we have been reborn or raised again as a new person in Christ.

gordon 2

You know the "Ask and you shall receive..." well I know of one individual who one day decided to take responsiblity for this own spiritual life and went to his church's bible study.

Two classes per night were offered each fall by local churches out of a choice of four. Classes were given by local priests in an informal but academic style. Classes were once a week for 7-8 weeks.

This perticular season's subjects: Matthew's Gospel, John's Gospel, The Mass Explained and Exodus were the subjects. This individual took Matthew and Moses. The previous year subjects had included Revelations, Mary Mother of God, The Acts of the Apostles, etc...

That individual just got "saved" by the hearing the word of God : Matthew and Exodus. It just happened, Christ showed up.

That individual was me. I asked and received. And what was strange was that I did not ask to be saved, ( you can't ask for what you don't know ) but I asked for knowledge about "my spiritual life" so that I could become a mature individual in faith.

From that initial experience of seeing anew, I next attended many different churches and denominations to see what everyone was drinking ( for two yrs perhaps ). I found answers and comfort in all.

Today my relationship with God is fixed. My spirtual life is full and ever growing. God is faithful and I try to live as a good partner. I try. But most important is the Lord is present in my life...

Tn_Extreme

Banned
The Bible says we have to come to the knowledge that we are a sinner headed for "the hot place" in need of a Saviour. The Bible says we have to repent.

We may not remember the exact minute or even the date but that expereince should live anew and fresh in our minds. if you cant go back to a moment where you realized you were lost and in need of salvation and repented and put faith in Jesus something is askew.

Branchminnow

GONetwork Senator Area 51
We may not remember the exact minute or even the date but that expereince should live anew and fresh in our minds. if you cant go back to a moment where you realized you were lost and in need of salvation and repented and put faith in Jesus something is askew.

I feel the same way my freind.

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
Me too that sums it all up.

60Grit

The Bible says we have to come to the knowledge that we are a sinner headed for "the hot place" in need of a Saviour. The Bible says we have to repent.

Ditto, it was, is and always will be a life changing experience.
How could someone be so vague, or elusive, and still be sincere in their character and integrity.

Sompins' up!!:huh: :huh:

Tn_Extreme

Banned
This subject brings back a book I read once...The authorized bigoraphy of Billy Graham. He stated that his wife enver had the salvation experience...That she was just born in a Christian home by Christian parents and was jsut naturally a born again Christian.

That is in direct conflict with gods word. it really made me skeptical of Grahams preaching after that.

PWalls

Yes! A "saved" Christian should be able to remember when the Holy Spirit convicted them of their inadequacy and the loss and hurt that brought in them and should then be able to remember the joy when they turned it all over to Jesus and what He did for them and accepted Him as their Lord and Savior.

A "feel good" moment I don't think is sufficient description.

Hunting Teacher

That is in direct conflict with gods word. it really made me skeptical of Grahams preaching after that.[/QUOTE]

I think you better reread the book. That's not exactly what he said. He said her salvation experience wasn't a drastic change like some others because she grew up in a Christian home.
It's OK if you are skeptical of Billy Graham's preaching.
What matters is that God isn't skeptical about it!
I've been to Dr. Graham's crusades. His actual words from his sermons are very simple and direct, but the power of God's Holy Spirit moving through the people is absolutely incredible!
Teacher

Tn_Extreme

Banned
That is in direct conflict with gods word. it really made me skeptical of Grahams preaching after that.

I think you better reread the book. That's not exactly what he said. He said her salvation experience wasn't a drastic change like some others because she grew up in a Christian home.

[/QUOTE]

Sir I am looking at the book as I type...it says...Word for word on page 101 and 102...

"His own wife admitted she had never had the experience......Raised in a Religeous home she took on her spiritual convictins as a normal process of growing up; for her no moment of turning was involved."

The Bible says we are all born sinners in need of a Saviour...

Tn_Extreme

Banned
If there was anything to Grahams preaching Washington and Hollywood would shun him...Not accept him with open arms.

Hunting Teacher

If there was anything to Grahams preaching Washington and Hollywood would shun him...Not accept him with open arms.

First off we must have read different books. If that's what yours says, then I take back what I said as far as rereading the book.My apologies.
I don't want to get off topic here, but the reason Washington has accepted Billy Graham is because they know better than to be critical of him, because even non-believers know the man has always lived what he preaches. Politicians aren't stupid. They know better than to be critical of him.
Hollywood? I don't exactly see where Hollywood accepts Graham with open arms.
Have you been to one of his crusades. If not, before you question the man's sincerity or faith, you might want to go.
The book I read about Dr. Graham and his wife said that her salvation came without a great change in her life because she was already living in a Christian home. I will go find it. I don't remember the name right now.
Teacher

No. GA. Mt. Man

Gone But Not Forgotten
I respect the Grahams although I wouldn't agree with everything they believe anymore than I agree with everythin y'all post.I have delt with Franklin Graham's Samartian's Purse on behalf of our church and one thing that always impressed me about them is they'll tell you they appreciate all donations but if you choose not to go thru us please remember us when you pray.

Tn_Extreme

Banned
I like Franklin's Samaritans Purse as well..The Christian school my children attend participate in that and it seems to be a great program.

Graham Sr. has called Cults Christians and deceived many into believeing they were Christians when they werent. His preaching has "watered down" quite a bit since he started his ministry to be more accepted by America.

The soul winningst, hardline Bible preachers around these parts cant even get a 30 minute spot on a backwoods, "hicktown" radio show. Not to mention national attention.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I am saved, but do not remember a specific moment in time when Christ revealed Himself to me.

I do not believe you are saved because of one moment in time. I was baptised in the name of Christ, and at that instant my soul was sealed in His name for all time.

Now as far as asking Christ into your life, and forgiveness of sin, that is an ongoing process. Once He is in your life, you must pray He remains so, as you will continue to sin and will unto the day you die. One "event" does not save you. The road to the Cross is a long one, filled with travail and sin. How you travel the course is what's important.

leroy

The book I read about Dr. Graham and his wife said that her salvation came without a great change in her life because she was already living in a Christian home. I will go find it. I don't remember the name right now.
Teacher

And I could agree with that. You would not see as much of a drastic change in a person who is already involved in Church and brought up by Christian parents versus someone who is not in Church or has Christian parents.