Hog Question

firebiker

now that the season has closed ( Deer northern zone) me and my hunting buddy Schooly( hes a member here also) we were wanting to try our luck at Hog hunting. my question is what would be a good WMA to hunt for hogs, where either one of us or both of us may have luck seeing or getting us one of those rascals ! ::huh:

Toffy

If its legal, check out altamaha,

Altamaha is a long, skinny WMA along the banks of the river. Lots of piney woods rooters, but most and best access is by boat. might also wanbt to check the regs for hunting at Savannah River NWR. Lots of hogs but very limited access.
Good Luck.

kcausey

Banned
Two choices

Firebike,
Ocmulgee WMA is open until the end of February for small game weapons. If you have a bow or muzzleloader, that'd be your best bet. Behind the check station or on area 1 will produce plenty of hogs. Also Oaky Woods WMA, it is open for big game weapons for hogs and buck only until Jan 11, after that, until end of February for small game weapons. Any of the creeks on Oaky Woods will produce hogs.

Toffy

War on hogs?

The state is proposing a war on hogs. The new proposed rules will permit hunting at night, and/or hunting from a vehicle and/or hunting over bait and/or all of these.
This activity will not be allowed dsuring either deer or turkey season.
What do you think?

Randy

No vehicles and no bait! That ain't hunting. Now if they are just a plain nuisance and they just want us to eradicte them and we do not call it hunting but shooting, I don't have a problem with vehicles or bait. Let's just not fool ourselves or the public in to calling it hunting!

Jared

I think they should allow regular big game weapons on them in the WMA system. No vehicles and no baiting. The state already has a liberal stance on the private land owners rights to take hogs, but not on the WMA. If the small game weapons are removed and allow hunters to take them with the rifles, then we would see increase use of the WMA's, more hunting opportunities and a reduction in the hogs population. There is nothing that says you could not do this for a one or two or three year period and see what the results are. If good, adjust the regs. We need to be able to adjust the regs. quickly to respond to game and hunting needs.

Danny Leigh

GONetwork Member
I think the current regulations give landowners and WMA managers plenty of room to control the hog populations.

I like hunting the things and don't want to see the populations reduced any further. You can hunt them on most WMAs now from archery season through Turkey season. Looks to me like war has already been declared.

Small game hunters (including me) don't want to see big game rifles used on WMAs during small game dates.

Jared

You might can persuade me on this Danny my friend, but maybe they could have some dates when small game is over to allow a month or so of WMA hog hunting. I know I would like to use my .44 pistol some on WMA hunts for hogs outside of the normal season and maybe my slug gun as well.