tree planting suggestions?

coastga

I'm going to purchase some trees in the next couple of weeks to plant on my farm. Last year I planted white oak, swamp white oak and sawtooth oaks. I'm considering planting some apples, persimmons and some more sawtooth oaks.

Do you have any suggestions on what to plant? I'm looking for some good attractants that will be able to produce in a fairly short time period.

Coastga

bradpatt03

no suggestions, but just curious...how big are those oaks when you buy them and how big are they now? it'd be nice to get a couple..how much does something like that cost

gadeerwoman

crabapples and wild pears and some gobbler sawtooth oaks.
I got my callaway crabapples from the Wildlife Group last week and as always, they were top quality trees! They have a lot of great trees. Mine were 36-48 inches tall and I paid $7.50 each for them. I highly recommend these folks. I've ordered from them for years and have always been pleased. Be sure you get tree shelters too. I've got some sawtooth oaks that I ordered about 5 years ago and they are over 15 foot tall now. They were planted on some great soil.
www.wildlifegroup.com

gadeerwoman

Speaking of trees, it was a good year for the forestry folks!! I got my pines and sawtooth shipment yesterday and the sawtooths are over 5 feet tall. Gotta dig some big holes to get these babies in the ground.

coastga

The sawtooths that I planted last year were 8ft tall and I paid $5.00 per tree. I also purchased some smaller sawtooths at $3.00 per tree. The trees I purchased were from spandles out of Claxton Georgia. They all are top notch trees.

coastga

GAdeerwomen,

Is the fruit off a crabapple tree that you purchase from wildlifegroup larger than crabapple trees that grow in the wild? I once hunted in montgomery county and on this property grew a crabapple tree that had large apples. They were much larger than the wild crabapples that you traditionally see. I thought it must have been a domestic crabapple that someone planted years ago. Also, what is a gobbler sawtooth?

Suttree

Sounds like you already got all the best species to plant. Swamp chestnut oak is another good one, enormous acorns and a beautiful tree. As for fast-growing, just be sure to put all of them in full sunlight and even the white oaks will amaze you.

gadeerwoman

Callaway crabapples are about the same size as the regular wild crabapples. I ordered them after seeing 2 trees near my office this year. They were absolutely loaded down and started dropping fruit in October and continued to hold fruit until that hard rain in the last week of December. They seem to hold their fruit a lot longer than the wild crabs. Gobbler sawtooths are fast growing like regular sawtooths but have a smaller acorn and produce many more acorns per tree than regular sawtooths. Hence they are great 'turkey' trees.