decoys on WMA

sb1010

I am wondering how helpful decoys are hunting on WMAs.
I don't have a lot of turkey hunting experience.

DRBugman85

Just beware of other hunters They're not the smartest of hunters sometime.I would not use a decoy for fear of being shot on any WMA.
P/S I don't use decoys anyway.

chefrific

Forget decoys. Especially on public land. Asking for trouble.
Lot of good, smart and ethical hunters on public land, but a lot of trigger happy dummies too. That being said, I know of some trigger happy dummies on private land too!
Just be careful and play it safe.

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
You don't need decoys. I've had them do as much harm as good and cost me a gobbler or two. :banginghe

Same here.Mine never worked like the ones on the hunting shows.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I've had success on public land with decoys but I've had more to see the decoy and go the other way , turkey's on public land have seen it all !!!

Killer Kyle

And for some reason, I called up a hunter on a WMA a few years ago. Was just kind of blind calling mid day, and heard something coming coming up over the hilltop behind me. Soon I realized it didn't sound like a turkey, and then a hunter popped up over the hilltop and was looking for the turkey. I shouted "hey" at him, and he waved and left. He was probably trying to put a sneak on the girl he thought was there and hoping ol' Tom was with her. I'd say if you're hunting essay off the grid, two, maybe three miles, carrying one might be fine, but if you're in a spot where someone could come in on you from another direction, another road, across a creek, leave that thing at home. Old timers didn't use them and killed plenty of birds. Call sparingly, and let curiosity kill the cat. Or...Tom, rather. Good luck!!!

hambone50

like others said...they'll work from time to time, and they'll booger em from time to time. You know what's more fun though? using the terrain to win at his game. blind curve in a firebreak, palmetto thicket, sitting just below the crest of a ridge top...etc etc....get him to lookin for you!

good luck to ya

Johnny 71

Junebug
If you use a decoy , you need to carry it in a bag, walking in and out, but I wouldn't use one on public land, best of luck

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
If the turkeys run from them....Dekes ? How is it cheating.
Is aiming devices other than a bead cheating.
Is 3" mags with tight chokes cheating.
If someone calls for u is that cheating.
Hunting out of blinds, is that cheating.

Lols

I wouldn't use a deke on a WMA , cause I run & gun some what. Carrying a deke just ain't going to happen. I tend to hunt light. I don't use a vest. Just carry a box & a mouth call. Maybe a slate. They say the air hen Dekes make a great back rest against a tree.
Do what u like, pay us no mind.

SwampMoss

I once saw a guy doing a low crawl/sneak across a power line on WMA toward two decoys in a food plot opening. I guess he didn't know that you could drive up to the opening and park from another road. Which had a truck parked at it. I would not use one on a WMA for that reason. Im not sure if the decoys made it or not.

Mudfeather

You stated you are "new" to turkey hunting.

The biggest advantage of a deke for you would be to give the bird something to focus on. Their ability to know exactly where you call from is unreal and they will be looking at and for you intensely. I use them sometimes when I am taking a newb because it allows them the opp to get away with some stuff they couldn't without one.

That said safety is the first concern and I would just understand you are interested in something that can be much more intense than deer hunting. Both for you and others.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
I was lucky enough to start my turkey hunting on a couple of prime pieces of private land. Decoys work great on low pressured field birds.
As time has passed and I lost access or the turkeys don't use the area anymore. I have had to branch out to public land. Based on my experience you are better off without them.
Every now and then you will get one to run all the way to the gun but I wouldn't count on it.
like Hambone said. Chose the place you setup carefully and call sparingly. Most of all patience.

ryanwhit

Better off without them.

BUT, if you decide to use them, ESPECIALLY on public land and especially if you use a jake or gobbler decoy, choose your setup very carefully. Make sure that there is no way that someone could sneak in on you and take a shot at the decoy without you seeing them.

It's not like these things happen all the time, but they do happen and they can turn out poorly.