Tss shot for 3.5 inch gun. Plz help

GCO

So I'm confused about the whole tss turkey load deal. I notice people is getting great patterns with a 20 gauge, with tss number 8s or 9s. But why is a 20 gauge better then a 12? Should you be able to make hand loads for a 3.5 inch 12 gauge with number 8s or 9s and it be even better?

01Foreman400

Staff member
With the right combination a 3.5" TSS load will have a lot denser pattern than a 20 ga. TSS load. I've seen some sick 3.5" patterns. Not many load the 3.5" because of the cost and recoil. When you can get 300 pellets in a 10" circle with a 20 ga. most folks think of it as why do I need a 12 ga. much less a 3.5" 12 ga. load. Most folks are shooting TSS so they can carry a light 20 ga. that will out pattern any 12 ga. load on the market. All I load are 3" & 2 3/4" 12 ga. loads and 20 ga. 2 3/4". No sense in shooting #8's in TSS either stick with the #9's.

fountain

Pretty much what Foreman said. No sense in loading for a 12 with the results you get in the 20. Loading for 12 ga will take more shot and you're using wasting it at that point honestly. Most have went to a 20 to get away from the recoil of the 3.5". The 20 ga with tss is pretty versatile from young to old and the patterns/knockdown power are great too

hawglips

Banned
So I'm confused about the whole tss turkey load deal. I notice people is getting great patterns with a 20 gauge, with tss number 8s or 9s. But why is a 20 gauge better then a 12? Should you be able to make hand loads for a 3.5 inch 12 gauge with number 8s or 9s and it be even better?

A 20 ga is not better - except it's lighter and cheaper.

I've got lab tested loads up to 2-5/8 oz in the 12 ga - and a 20 can't compete with them - in terms of performance.

But I carry a 28 ga most of the time.... :bounce:

Last edited:

huntindawg

It's about a third of that estimate, scrapmetal. Not insane when you figure they're getting over $5 for hevi blend shell that's about a third of the performance.

Bucky T

GONetwork Member

A 20ga shooting TSS isn't going to outperform a 12ga shooting TSS.

Yeah, you can load up a 3.5" 12ga or even a 10ga with TSS.

The only question is this:

How deep are your pockets??

:D:bounce:

Got any facts to back that statement up?

you can kill them at 60 yards with a 20 with half the amount of shot of a 12. as William at Sumtoy says how dead do you want them? Why waste all that shot. I know guys killing the mess out of them with 410's and 28's. So why waste the money????

mcarge

you can kill them at 60 yards with a 20 with half the amount of shot of a 12. as William at Sumtoy says how dead do you want them? Why waste all that shot. I know guys killing the mess out of them with 410's and 28's. So why waste the money????

Absolutely. Seen the 410 in action at 40 steps in a thicket...head swell! 12 gauge for waterfowl only...that would be expensive

GCO

You can tell William that I won't my turkeys really dead. So I'ma stick with the .12

01Foreman400

Staff member

Half the shot? In a 12 ga. most shoot the 2 oz. load which has a 3/8 oz. larger pay load than the popular 1 5/8 oz. 20 ga. load.

So everything you spend your money on you absolutely have to have to live? If so you don't turkey hunt then. :D

What's your turkey gun and ammo set-up? :huh:

01Foreman400

Staff member
Absolutely. Seen the 410 in action at 40 steps in a thicket...head swell! 12 gauge for waterfowl only...that would be expensive

The last thing I'm worried about when shooting at a turkey is the cost of the ammo.

Timber1

BANNED
I like using lead so i can finish off a flopper with one to the head with my trusty 9mm that a carry to ward off man eating hogs that sneak up on me from behind.

WFL

With TSS you can make any of them a 40 yard set up. With 20ga I would run Federal HWT 7 or HV 13 if over the counter. TSS if you want to get into hand loads.
12 ga Win long beard is dead. HV13 is very dead. TSS is extremely dead.

now think about this You have 800 to 1500 in a gun. 60000 in a truck. 100's in gas. hours in time looking. 100's in camo. most have 1000's in calls LOL . so what is a few bucks in a shell.

01Foreman400

Staff member
now think about this You have 800 to 1500 in a gun. 60000 in a truck. 100's in gas. hours in time looking. 100's in camo. most have 1000's in calls LOL . so what is a few bucks in a shell.

Exactly!

Timber1

BANNED
So with tss 7's shooting a 12 guage 3.5" with maximum/optimal load of powder and shot, and the gun dialed in for long distance, choke/optics, what is my killing range? Inquiring minds want to know?

01Foreman400

Staff member
So with tss 7's shooting a 12 guage 3.5" with maximum/optimal load of powder and shot, and the gun dialed in for long distance, choke/optics, what is my killing range? Inquiring minds want to know?

#7's? Are you deer huntin?