Ol' Tom tech pants/shirt

tknight

Anyone use the Ol' tom line of pants/shirts for your calls and such instead of a conventional vest? I'm looking for ways to shed "shoulder" weight for the hikes in especially out after the temps rise! :)

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
I replaced the nylon zippers with brass zippers and use the shirt like a vest. I don't carry much. The nylon zippers would jump the tracks. The permanent magnets in the pockets are a pia for a compass user. The discontinued Ol'Tom synthetic tee shirt is the best product Ol'Tom ever sold. I bought 5 at close out over five years ago and they the most comfortable tee shirts I've ever had--cool, don't stain from sweat like cotton shirts, and are great for casual wear.

One other complaint about the shirts. The sleeves are lined with a waterproof lining solving a problem that didn't exist. Unless I wear a long sleeved undershirt, the sleeves suffer the "poncho" effect by allowing sweat to condensate on the lining. I have the lightest capilene undershirt by Patagonia which helps, but even it can get a tad hot during the season's end. It's an annoying issue having sweat condensate on my forearms. Last year I went back to a 40 year-old jungle fatique shirt that had enough billowed pockets to hold my gear. The rip-stop poplin, camoed, is more comfortable than the Ole Tom.
Gil

Last edited: