No Turkeys

Jody Hawk

I can see a big decline over the past ten years. Logging has decimated some of my areas. I ran a camera for two months on my club, did not get a single turkey picture.

DRBugman85

We have more turkeys on our leases by killing the hog, coyotes,and coons out Predator control have been the answer for us.Timber management has not had any issues on our turkey population.

bowboy1989

I know of areas where there has been thousands of acres clearcut with little timber left that has got to have an effect on em and I'm sure the predators have an impact also

Jody Hawk

Look no further than B.F.Grant WMA to see the effect of logging on turkeys. That place was unreal ten years ago but the logging has definitely hurt the turkey population.

GADawg08

I'm in Emanuel Co. as well.....didn't get a single pic of a turkey during deer season like I normally do. But, Ive been running cameras the last two weeks and birds have showed up. Several jakes and one gobbler from what I can tell.....several hens also. This really surprised me because they have been cutting timber for the last 3 weeks on part of our club

Timber1

BANNED
Do you guys usually put out feed in front of your cameras or just put them where you think a turkey is likely to show up?

GADawg08

Do you guys usually put out feed in front of your cameras or just put them where you think a turkey is likely to show up?

with it being this close to the season, I'm just running my cameras on logging roads and an old field that hasnt been planted in yrs. I don't wanna put out any feed and it not be gone before season starts

Timber1

BANNED
Thats the same way we scout for turkeys, except no camera. We usually look for tracks in the roads and droppings. We sneak to the edge of fields and look for birds. In the woods we look for where they have scratched the leaves. Of course we dont get any pictures of them while they are still alive.

bowboy1989

I'm in Emanuel Co. as well.....didn't get a single pic of a turkey during deer season like I normally do. But, Ive been running cameras the last two weeks and birds have showed up. Several jakes and one gobbler from what I can tell.....several hens also. This really surprised me because they have been cutting timber for the last 3 weeks on part of our club

Where are you located

fullstrut

My Putnam tract is seeing a decline and we have nothing but woods. Been in this club for 8 yrs and the past 3 are really showing the effect of the decline. I've had a Camera out just for the Birds and where they like to frequent over the yrs Since Jan 1st. Pulled it Sat morning and not a single bird. But I did hear two. One on the front side of our property and one on OCNF about a mile away. Really sad that first the deer heard on decline and now my favorite Sport is dropping as well in this State. Missing the late 80s when you did not know which bird to set up on.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Coons ate them all

I think u are rt , and the sad part is I've seen a guy ask and post on a lot of hunting clubs looking for members that wants to coon hunt and he gets only no for a response, but I have plenty of turkey's because I let a guy coon hunt my property and I've trapped to many to count, and I believe it has helped a lot