How far do you bow shot deer run?

How far on average do your bow shot deer run?

• Less than 50 yards

Votes: 16 47.1%
  • 51-100 yards

Votes: 17 50.0%
  • 101-150 yards

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • 150-300 yards

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 300+ yards

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

GeauxLSU

Did this before but it was lost in the crash I guess.
How far, on AVERAGE, do your bow shot deer run?
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Jody Hawk

Come on fellows, you can make a perfect double lunger and he is gonna go past 50 yards in most cases. Right now this poll has 6 votes for less than 50 yards and my vote for 51-100 yards. ::huh:

Kdog

Yes Jody, it can happen. But it has never happened to me.

Kdog

GeauxLSU

Thanks Jody... I'm just after the TRUTH.

Jody Hawk said:
Come on fellows, you can make a perfect double lunger and he is gonna go past 50 yards in most cases. Right now this poll has 6 votes for less than 50 yards and my vote for 51-100 yards. ::huh:
Jody,
that's what I was thinking but I don't bow hunt. I think a lot of folks like skewing polls "in case" the antis are watching but I'm after the truth. I don't care who's watching. (What good is lying going to do? Unless of course ... nevermind.) I started a firearm poll and I put 50-100 yards for my response and EVERY deer I've ever shot was heart lung. Yes, some drop in their tracks but on AVERAGE, I'd say it's about 60-70 yards for me (firearm), which is not very far at all if you think about it. I know from reading several threads in this forum that either people aren't being honest (maybe with themselves) or just the real real 'lucky' ones have responded so far. ;)
Hunt/fish safely,
Phil

Jody Hawk

There ain't a bowhunter on here that will ever convince me that he is dropping say half of his deer within 50 yards of where they were shot. It just don't happen folks unless you are taking spine shots maybe. ::huh:

kcausey

Banned
Double Lung

The last three deer i have have double lung shot didn't hardly make it 20 yards. I have dropped 4 in their tracks. Longest i have ever had one run and die is about 70 yards, that was a left front quarter to right hind quarter pass through. Two of those 4 were spine shot, one broken shoulder, other just fell after a heart shot. I have lost one deer and killed 12 w/ bow.

Kdog

The question was on average, not how far total.

Still, I can not remember one that I shot that would have hit 50 yards.

Kdog

Jody Hawk

It can happen but it ain't often. I have found one deer within 50 yards of where I shot her and that was because she ran in a circle. If she would have ran a straight line it would have been at least a 75-100 yard blood trail. Some of you are off of your yardages, probably the same ones that shoot a 60 yard pin. :bounce:

WildBuck

I have had a few to drop within 50 yards but most are closer to 100. I had a 6 point in 2003 that walked 10 yards from where i shot him and stood there and bled out. I shot a doe 15 minutes later that ran about 70 yards. Go Figure. Shot placement was the same.

csgreen1

I have had some go 50-100 but most go down inside 50 yrds.They just dont get as spooked with a bow as they do when a 7mm goes off in their ear, would you?

matthewsman

I've had'em drop

in their tracks,and had some of them run 350 to 400 yds.My 8 I killed in Dekalb ran up hill(so much for that old wives tale)250-300 yrds,then back down100-150 yds and lived 55 minutes.It was not a good hit(Shocker,neck shot)It was only a 22 yard shot,but somtimes the best laid plans of mice and men.......anyway,most of mine go 60-70 yrds and are dead on their feet.I've killed probably36-38 deer(with a bow) and lost 4.I don't know how "humanely"you can kill something,(kind of an oxy-moron)but short of lethal injection,any modern archery equipment with the proper draw and sharp broadheads is as humane as any other legal method of killing deer....donnie

reylamb

What if, you spine 3, distance traveled, 0 yards, and have 3 double lungers that went 75 yards each, your average will be under 50!!!!!

Mine is between 50 and 100 on average. The 3 I shot this year all fell within sight.

LAKOTA

I've never made a "spine shot", so that rules me out of the drop on the spot kills. I have however made double lung shots and the deer still ran over 100 yds.

Like J-Hawk said, I've had a few die within 25 yds of my stand, but the deer ran in a 50-100 yd circle back toward me.

H

HT2

Phil.....

I can't accurately know that answer......

I've seen a perfect shot made and the deer run past 300 yards.....Rare, but it's happened.....

And, I've seen a somewhat "O.K." shot made, and the deer fall inside of 50 yards......

Hard to say...... ::huh:

gabowman

I said less than 50 but it's really hard to tell. I've been bow hunting since compounds were legal and have taken deer all but three of those years. Thinking back I'd say atleast half fell within 50 yds so that's why i said that, but it's merely guessing. I've also had them run forever, tracking them nearly a mile before finding a few of them. This year I got 4 and all fell within sight. Last year I got three all fell within 50 yds, lost one I trailed more than 300 yds but he wasnt hurt (I hope) ::; . I likes it when they dont go anywhere. :bounce: :D

GB

Gaswamp

25 yds on average.