Winchester 16 gauge

Wolfman9

I'm going up to Northwestern Missouri mid April but I'm flying and don't feel like going through the hassle of bringing my gun. I will be using my grandfathers old Winchester 16 gauge.

Any recs on chokes or shells to use?

GregoryB.

I looked for 16ga turkey loads the other day and all I could find was #5 and 6 pheasant loads. If you find some turkey loads post it. I have a old 16ga double that I would like to try.

Killdee

You will likely have to shoot the pheasant loads Gregory posted or call NITRO.

DRBugman85

My uncle shot a lot of gobblers with #6 lead duck load back in the day.Browning sweet 16 with a fixed modified choke.The Winchester pheasant loads should work good for your winchester 16 ga.Good luck

Wolfman9

Yeah, Just checked with my dad. I believe its a 50's - 60's pump. Modified choke. I keep seeing all this talk about TSS would that be worth looking into? Seem's odd that they don't make a 16 load specifically for turkeys.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
If it's a 50's, it's a probably a Model 12 although some M97's were made into the 50s. 97's have the external hammer. There are TSS loads for the 16. Contact Hawglips for shot and load info. Gaswamp shoots a 16 for turkeys and he doesn't shoot TSS. Hopefully he will provide info. Modified would require patterning with the load to determine maximum range which is usually less than what full choke would do. If you are going to shoot lead, don't be tempted to shoot large shot. Pattern density is important. #7.5 lead has sufficient penetration under 35 yards and will most likely provide enough density to guarantee a lethal shot to the CNS. You will hear anecdotal "Golden Pellet" accounts of larger shot doing the job, but be aware that the pattern density might be such you will wound and not recover the bird if you don't pay attention to pattern density and range. A good rule of thumb is approximately 100 shot inside a 10" ring wherever that distance is. There are 78 square inches inside that circle and if you have a 100, you are more than likely going to hit brain or spine. Gil

Gaswamp

If it's a 50's, it's a probably a Model 12 although some M97's were made into the 50s. 97's have the external hammer. There are TSS loads for the 16. Contact Hawglips for shot and load info. Gaswamp shoots a 16 for turkeys and he doesn't shoot TSS. Hopefully he will provide info. Modified would require patterning with the load to determine maximum range which is usually less than what full choke would do. If you are going to shoot lead, don't be tempted to shoot large shot. Pattern density is important. #7.5 lead has sufficient penetration under 35 yards and will most likely provide enough density to guarantee a lethal shot to the CNS. You will hear anecdotal "Golden Pellet" accounts of larger shot doing the job, but be aware that the pattern density might be such you will wound and not recover the bird if you don't pay attention to pattern density and range. A good rule of thumb is approximately 100 shot inside a 10" ring wherever that distance is. There are 78 square inches inside that circle and if you have a 100, you are more than likely going to hit brain or spine. Gil

I do use Nitros now but before I used Federal wing shot 1 1/4 #6's round to take a few turkeys with no problems (called them the purple turkey eater shells). Course I kept the shots under 35yds even with a super full sleeve. With modified choke I would pattern it at 30 and see if you can meet Gil's numbers
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...-4-oz-buffered-6-copper-plated-shot-box-of-25

Attachments

• IMG_0151 (600 x 450).jpg
    IMG_0151 (600 x 450).jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:

Gaswamp

btw I have a Winchester model 12 16ga that as been on many dove fields. Great pump guns

GLS

A cold, windy January 2014 morning dove hunt with my older Britt Abby. She had more sense than I did getting out of the wind. 1957 M12 16 gauge, 28" modified.
IMG_20140104_091350256_zpsdgf0tet1.jpg

DRBugman85

Yeah, Just checked with my dad. I believe its a 50's - 60's pump. Modified choke. I keep seeing all this talk about TSS would that be worth looking into? Seem's odd that they don't make a 16 load specifically for turkeys.
Be careful shooting TSS in that old gun if it has a fix choke that stuff is HARD and mite bulge the barrel.

GLS

Even large lead shot can "ring" a barrel. Some old high grade Super Magnum framed 3" NID Ithaca doubles bear witness to that. Problem is more likely to occur in full chokes than modified and more open. Large shot can "bridge" shoulder to shoulder and ring a tight choke. Small shot, such as TSS9's, flow and there is not much likelihood of bridging. There are a lot of old single-shots handling TSS9's without issues. I wouldn't hesitate shooting TSS 9's or 8's with mylar wraps and appropriate wads out of my old pumps or single shots built for SAAMI pressures.

Last edited:

Gaswamp

A cold, windy January 2014 morning dove hunt with my older Britt Abby. She had more sense than I did getting out of the wind. 1957 M12 16 gauge, 28" modified.
IMG_20140104_091350256_zpsdgf0tet1.jpg

great pic, Gil:flag::cool::flag: