Combo load for turkeys and coyotes

Osceola Guy

This turkey season I'm pretty set on #2 lead shot seeing that my dad needs me to exterminate an enormous dog population in our area. That said I have done a lot of choke patterning with the only factory loads available I bought online early last season for a couple of pattern sessions. My shotgun sports a 3 inch chamber in crio plus but I'm limited to the Remington 2 3/4 express in 2's and a full factory, full Carlsons ext, and Carlson EF flush chokes to try. So far the Carlsons full and the factory full choke has patterned most densely at 40 yards with the Carlson slightly better. Sorry no photos taken but hope to get some input on this. Thanks,Dave

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I've called in a few hungry yotes the past few yrs and my # 6 longbeards kill em pretty dead !

Osceola Guy

Amazing that they appear so much especially during deer season. I've killed one last year but he or she just appeared and it was hard to resist and will be when I'm out turkey hunting.

fountain

I believe I would look more into the longbeard #5 shot and see how they do in your gun. They will be a better load for turkeys and should have a better "kill cover area" than the #2 shot. They will kill the coyotes as dead as the #2 shot within a reasonable shotgun distance. If you wanted to get a little more out of the gun I would look into some 3" hevi shot #6. They will hit hard and bring down turkey and coyote as far as your pattern will carry energy

Osceola Guy

hevishot-classic-doubles-shotshells-11135-gauge-1150-fps-shot-rdbx-p-103852.html

Osceola Guy

I found some called hevi shot classic double in 3 in #5 is that the correct one? Also will the same as above pattern the 4's they list also?

fountain

No, go to a pure turkey load. The hevi shot 3"/2oz/#6 is what I would look for. Another good alternative would be the longbeard #5. They will do well for both turkey and coyote.

deast1988

When fed #7 came out the inaugural hunt in South Fla they killed hogs with it. If lead is on the menu then #4-5-6 longbeard to the neck/ear area should do the trick quite quickly. Even id imagine federal #6 heavyweight would be ideal as a long range hammer for birds an dogs.

Iwannashoot

Pesident of the Fla Chaper Useless Billy club.
I got impressive results last year with the Federal Heavyweight #6 at 50yrds. Complete smack down and never even twiched:cheers:

Good Luck

Jeff

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
Years ago I had a conversation with Dick Kirby about shooting large shot at turkeys and why he abandoned shooting it. Dick was a real hunter and not just a video cowboy. He had an opportunity to hunt a private lodge and was given a block to hunt that no one else was supposed to be in. He was sitting and calling and heard footsteps in leaves on the other side of a saddle. He had scattered a flock and anticipated an approaching bird coming to his call. He had the Ithaca Mag 10 loaded with #2 pointed at the crest of the saddle ready to pop the bird. He saw the colors first. White and red. Then a face of a man rose under the colors. It was a lodge guide scouting while wearing a DU hat with a woodduck head emblem on above the bill. He was a split second from unloading #2's into the head of the guide. After he settled down, cussed out the guide for being where he wasn't supposed to be, wearing turkey colors on his head, he made a decision never to shoot big shot at turkeys. He was on the brink of a mistake which would have been fatal. Take what you want from this story, but #2's are a little too sparse in pattern density for the neck and head of turkeys, with a potentially dangerous flip side. Oh, I know you could kill a man with #8, but #2s zip through the woods a good distance.

Last edited:

Osceola Guy

Years ago I had a conversation with Dick Kirby about shooting large shot at turkeys and why he abandoned shooting it. Dick was a real hunter and not just a video cowboy. He had an opportunity to hunt a private lodge and was given a block to hunt that no one else was supposed to be in. He was sitting and calling and heard footsteps in leaves on the other side of a saddle. He had scattered a flock and anticipated an approaching bird coming to his call. He had the Ithaca Mag 10 loaded with #2 pointed at the crest of the saddle ready to pop the bird. He saw the colors first. White and red. Then a face of a man rose under the colors. It was a lodge guide scouting while wearing a DU hat with a woodduck head emblem on above the bill. He was a split second from unloading #2's into the head of the guide. After he settled down, cussed out the guide for being there, he made a decision never to shoot big shot at turkeys. He was on the brink of a mistake which would have been fatal. Take what you want from this story, but #2's are a little too sparse in pattern density for the neck and head of turkeys, with a potentially dangerous flip side. Oh, I know you could kill a man with #8, but #2s zip through the woods a good distance.
Good point well taken. I tried something more patterning 30 and 40 yard distances with the #2 shot and even though some patterns were really uniform,none of then centered a lot towards 10 inches longer like I hoped. Not a lot better of pellets in a 2 3/4 #2 lead shell I counted like 96 in this shell. Dave

bradleyjanes06

Most memorable turkey hunt ended with yote a few years back. I was shooting #4 turkey thug from what I remember. Took two shells at 45 yrds. She came running up the road right to my calling. Didn't see the collar till after the first shot.

Attachments

• received_1676354639288272.jpg
    received_1676354639288272.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 488

Osceola Guy

My dad ended up with this one yesterday. Winchester longbeard's at 23 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_1128.JPG
    IMG_1128.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 439

Osceola Guy

Now turkey talk, apology for going off topic if it offended anyone. My niece(in my profile picture)got her first jake or first turkey ever killed. Enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_1129.jpg
    IMG_1129.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 436

Killer Kyle

I killed an 80 lb hog last year with Longboard #4's. I was carrying #6's, and walked up on a group of about 50 hogs. They winded me, bolted, and ran down into a draw. I backed out maybe 100 yards, and loaded my #4's which I carry for hogs. Went back and set up by the draw hoping they'd be back. First group of 20+ came back almost an hour later, but the larger ones stayed out of range. Shortly after, the second group of around 20 was approaching. I decided my Max range was 20 yards, so I jumped up and snuck 10 yards closer. The lead sow stepped right into my line of sight, and I shot her in the most vulnerable spot for a shotgun, the neck behind the ear. My aim was to shatter the spine. And shatter it did. She went straight down, legs rigid and not a single squeal. I'd say if LB #4's can straight stone an 80 lb hog at 20, they will flat out fold a 35 lb tote at 40. I actually had many pass through BB's that landed in the shoulder on the opposite shoulder of the hog.

Osceola Guy

I've always favored Winchester turkey loads in the past because they always patterned better than Remington and Federal in most of my full choke shotguns I shot. To me in the 80's and 90's I wouldn't shoot anything else always Winchester mag copper 4's and 6's. I got outta turkey in the past 5 years but I am back for sure.

Jeff Raines

While squirrel hunting at sheffield one year,a coyote appeared about 25 yards from me.2 3/4 #6 squirrel shot killed it.