The 60 yard shot...

At what distance are you TRULY comfortable taking a shot??

• 0-30 yards

Votes: 21 15.8%
  • 30-40 yards

Votes: 70 52.6%
  • 40-50 yards

Votes: 32 24.1%
  • 60 yards

Votes: 14 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nick_o_demus

Every year, it seems, the topic of a 60 yard shot comes up in my many conversations with friends, family and even the occasional stranger at Bass Pro when I'm buying my loads. I myself have patterned my gun out to 60 and while I can say I was okay with the outcome, I can't say that I am comfortable enough to crack a shot off at that distance.

bubbafowler

I don't carry a range finder in my vest. So i say 50 because i know if i misjudge my distance I can still kill at 60. I've done it at 55 and 58 steps. And my steps are normally accurate.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My turkey gun will shoot 60 yards, probably further, but I won`t. 45 max and I prefer the bird at 25-30 yards.

Twiggbuster

I shot a stubborn Tom at 60 yrds that gobbled all morning on the roost. No I didn't shoot him out of the tree!!
Moved in on him and he flew down but stayed hung up.
Killed him but he was spinning around when I got to him.
Said then it needs to be no more than 40.
935 with hevishot 6's barely did it.

fullstrut

40 is good for me. Saying that I've connected several times in the 50 + range. That's from a little misjudged yardage cause of terrain .

Huntinfool

I shot one turkey at 52 steps a few years back. But he was being especially stubborn and I had waited on his tail for an hour. Other than that I would guess I've not shot another one much further than 40.

I definitely will try to get them much closer. But if they don't want to cooperate then so be it.

Mudfeather

The question is tricky. My gun will do the 60 yd thing especially with longbeards....BUT I dont want to do that because I dont consider that beating him at his game.
I would get the same thrill in that as bushwacking one. Yes I killed him but I didn't beat him at his game. I know I am a superior predator but...just my thoughts..

RustyDawg44

I couldn't tell you what my pattern looks like at 60 yards. The thing I love about turkey hunting is working the birds into 30 yards.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I couldn't tell you what my pattern looks like at 60 yards. The thing I love about turkey hunting is working the birds into 30 yards.

I couldn't tell u either. I will check now to see how crazy it looks!

Gaswamp

I couldn't tell u what my pattern looks like past 35 yds. :yawn:

Pappy

Well, Ive not patterned my gun at 60. Only to 50.
While I guess it would be acceptable to a lot of folks at 50, I would much rather have him in about 25-30 yards. Great group of shot at that range with no 'voids' in the pattern.

Bubba_1122

I shoot a 20 with TSS and am very comfortable out to 40.

Anything beyond isn't for me (though I've done it at a bird I was sorta aggravated with). Finally kilt him 5 weeks later (at 27 yards).

Booner Killa

My longest is 53 steps and that was certainly pushing it. I had to chase him down, shot at him four more times while trying to chase him down and ended up wrestling with him for a couple mins.:rofl::rofl: 60 is too far for me personally.

blong

I know for fact I have a 60 yd gun but I'm not comfortable past 30. I know he is going down but never comfortable until I have my hands on him.

T-N-T

I shot one close to 60. I judged him at 45 to 50.
It was also my first public land, mountain bird and I wasn't willing to let him go.

Not a clean kill. But the boot finished it.

Osceola Guy

Unfortunately I can't call a Tom in regularly at 0-20 yards. That said I voted 40-50 yards if it's a boss of a gobbler with no smaller than 4's.